Chapter 2

As I pull into Sammie's driveway, I stare at the marvelous house. I've seen it too many times to count, but the huge columns and the gigantic window that overlooks the lake still makes me wonder how rich her parents are.

The front door quickly opened and Sammie flew out, her auburn hair flowing behind her. Her backpack was filled to the brim with papers, which I bet were all due before spring break started. Sammie opened the car door and sat down, huffing and puffing.

"Go," she breathed, buckling the seatbelt. I looked at her, startled, and then she repeated what she said, except louder. I got scared, so I drove away from her house as fast as I could.

"What's wrong? I got here on time," I asked a minute later. She was busy sorting through her late homework, not listening to me. So I turned on the radio and we stayed silent the whole ride to East Way High. 

When we pulled into the parking lot, I took a sharp turn and my bag fell on the car floor. "Pick that up for me, will you?" I asked Sammie. She nodded, organizing everything in my backpack. Then she picked up Chris's football.

"Oh my god, you have Chris Parker's football. The Chris Parker!!! When did you get it? How did you get it? Tell me, tell me, tell me!" Sammie exclaimed, jumping up and down.

I shook my head. Have I mentioned the fact that Sammie is a huge blabber mouth, and also the school matchmaker? "Listen, Sammie, you are my best friend. Hear that? My best friend. That can change if you tell anybody that I have his football," I hissed.

"Oh, alright. But tell me how you got it!" I quickly told her the story of last Wednesday, and she didn't talk the whole time. When I finished, we reached the front of East Way High. I turned to face her, but Sammie was already talking to Sarah Calico.

"Sammie, don't say anything, alright?" I said. She nodded and went back to her conversation about Dennis Malarky, the second hottest boy in our school. 

The school bell rang, it's sound piercing through the halls. I cursed and ran to my locker. I was gonna be so late. And I have a math exam to go to. Grabbing my textbook, I shut the locker door and rushed to the classroom.

"Miss Marlon, I'm assuming that you missed the beginning of class for a good reason," Mr. Bart grumbled in his low voice. I looked down, heat spreading to my cheeks. When I looked up, he handed me the math exam and told me to sit down.

Trudging through the aisle, I saw Matt Garner staring at me. I met his green eyes, and he quickly looked away, blushing. I turned in the other direction, sitting in my seat. Matt was a nerdy person, but that didn't stop him from landing on the Hot List. He was number four, because of the green eyes and beautiful, brown hair.

I fumbled with my test papers, and they fell to the ground. I cursed under my breath and everybody looked at me. This is what I get for day-dreaming about Matt Garner.