Chapter 41 - Adelaide

Adelaide watched the fireworks dance across the sky and breathed in the cool crisp air. She could see all the famous landmarks from the castle balcony, including the statue of the archangel Michael in the city centre, white water springs over in Roseway village and the Havensborough harbour.

Dominic was gone. Never again would she have to fear he was lurking around every corner. Adelaide felt as a bird without a cage. But not the pretty doves seen at weddings. No, Adelaide was a fierce predator - without the chains to hold her. She was a falcon. Devoid of any repentance or restraints.

The Peaceland kingdoms were safe. People paraded through the streets in celebration. The palace held a ball, for the first time since Adelaide returned to Concordia five years ago. It had been a long time since Adelaide had been to a ball – would she even remember the proper etiquette?

Adelaide wore a short black dress with a ruffled hem, complete with a black cloche hat. It was customary to wear mourning clothes after your husband had died, but Adelaide hadn't felt much like mourning. She just wanted to show the world her new fierce determination. She'd even dipped her neckline pearls in black ink.

"Pretty isn't it?" a voice came from the door.

"Victoria" Adelaide said.

Victoria walked over to the balcony. She wore a blue sequenced flapper dress that sparkled in the moonlight. Like Adelaide, Victoria's hair was too long to fit in a cloche hat, Victoria had opted to go without a hat, simply tying it in a curly bun. She was silent for a moment and then she said:

"I know I scold you a lot, but that's only because I don't want you to get hurt. If anything happened to you...I'd never forgive myself. And as much as I hate to admit it, your impulsivity pays off. Sometimes".

"Yeah, but I think we should leave the decisions to someone with a clearer head" Adelaide laughed but then cringed at how she slurred her words.

Adelaide wasn't drunk. She had been slurring her words ever since she was revived. The doctors thought it had something to do with how long she had been unconscious. The longer the brain goes without oxygen, the more cells died. Everyone said Adelaide was lucky it was only her speech that was affected. Adelaide didn't think "lucky" was the correct word.

"I agree, but you're the one who saved us after we had all given up. You should know I now regard you as second in command. Should've probably given it to Nicholas. After all I owe him my reputation. But you're practically my sister" Victoria said.

"Are you being serious?" Adelaide exclaimed. "Rosaline won't be happy"

"What are talking about? Rosaline's always happy" Victoria laughed.

It was so rare to hear Victoria laugh that it brought a smile onto Adelaide's face. Victoria was so professional, so serious all the time that they hardly got the chance to be normal friends. Never got to go shopping, go on holidays or even go out to dinner. Some part of Adelaide ached for a normal life. One where she wouldn't have to worry about whether or not everyone would survive the night.

"Speaking of whom, where is she?" Adelaide said.

"See for yourself" Victoria said walking across Adelaide's room and out onto the landing that overlooked the ballroom.

Rosaline swung the prince of Amiticia around the floor as if he was a rag doll, not the heir to a throne. Her green dress had ruffles up the side, clearly trying to make her look more graceful. But it was doing little good. The way Rosaline danced reminded Adelaide of an angry chimpanzee.

"Look at all those happy people. It looks like so much fun" Victoria said. "Let's join them, shall we?"

"I'll be down in a minute" Adelaide said.