Chapter 2 - Rosaline

The Warrior Queen usually found themselves in the infirmary after dangerous missions. This time was different. Rosaline couldn't pinpoint it exactly. Victoria seemed even angrier. Rosaline was sure she would've shouted - if Victoria was the kind of person who shouted.

Although it was just a check-up, all three of them stayed overnight. The infirmary was just a short distance to the train station. Then they would meet up with other Anti-Insurgence agents in Amiticia, who would help them track down Erebus.

No one knew Erebus's identity, but he was the lead suspect. Find him and they would find the people behind the attacks.

As they were bail enforcement agents, their job was to hunt down and arrest criminals. Slaying creatures of the night was not in the job description, but they were the best enforcements Concordia had.

Rosaline was nervous about going back to Amiticia, but Adelaide was furious.

"Now they need our help? It wasn't like that when they cut off our food supply. Or banned Concordian citizens from entering their country. I say let them deal with their own problems".

Adelaide forgot to mention that happened more than fifty years ago. Relations between the conjoined countries had always been shaky.

"Erebus's attack have become more frequent in both Concordia and Amiticia. He can make imps, beasts and even behemoth. If we don't do something what will become of Amiticia?" Victoria said.

Imps were easy - child's play. Anyone with a year's training could kill one of them. Beasts were trickier. They took more than a sharp object to kill. But weren't a problem if you were in a group and new how to use defence magic. A shudder went through Rosaline at the mention of behemoths. She had never encountered one, but she was pretty sure they weren't all that friendly. More than a beast, not quite a demon. With any luck, they wouldn't have to face one.

Rosaline tied her hair into two plaits and changed into her uniform. Her uniform was a blue cotton jacket with the Royal Concordian logo embroidered on the lapel and matching trousers. What protected agents from fatal injuries was the corset underneath. The corset or vest they wore was bullet proof and blade resistant. Uncomfortable, yet life-saving.

Rosaline checked out of the infirmary and ran to the train station. Adelaide was already there, with her arms folded staring off into the distance. She didn't say anything when Rosaline approached her, she only gave a slight nod of the head. Adelaide was playing her usual act - pretending as if she didn't nearly die last night. There was real fear in her eyes. Adelaide didn't feel fear - or at least she didn't show it. What could have scared Adelaide Sarscoshi - the girl who laughed in the face of death?

At least the colour had returned to Adelaide's face. Even though they were in the same uniform, Adelaide managed to make the drab uniform look almost fashionable. With her long dark hair, blue eyes and pale face she could be anyone in Concordia. It was the way she stood, the way she walked that set her apart. You believed in her because she believed in herself. That level of confidence could not be taught. With her shoulder length dark hair that had a tinge of red through it when the sun shone on it and her unique eyes – one blue, one green. She'd always reminded Rosaline of her own insecurities.

Unlike some stuck-up people Rosaline had met, Adelaide did not look down on her. From the moment they met there was only kindness in her eyes. After a lifetime of judgement, it was refreshing. Even today in the train station Rosaline could feel eyes on her. The blonde hair and pale skin were purely Concordian, but her eyes gave away her Yu Haan heritage. She was practically a genetic anomaly.

Rosaline sat next to Adelaide on the bench.

"I'd hoped Victoria was with you" Adelaide said.

A tinge of worry passed over Rosaline.

"I don't know where she is" Rosaline said.

Victoria was never late. She often scolded others for not being prompt. Where was she? A few more minutes ticked by and the train came to a steady stop. People started to hop aboard, Rosaline searched the crowd. Even if they were late, Rosaline had no doubt Victoria could convince them to bring the train back. There was just something about her that made people listen to her.

Finally Victoria came into view at the train station entrance. She had dark skin and long curly hair. The scowl which she almost always had on her face was even deeper. Victoria hated being late. She hadn't even bothered to don her jacket. She looked so short next to the tall man who followed her. He had reddish long hair tied back in a ponytail. He wore long suede trench coat and a cowboy hat reddish shoulder length hair. With that powerful stride and friendly smile it could only be Nicholas. Rosaline raced over to them, as best she could through the crowd.

"Nicholas" Rosaline exclaimed. "Did you enjoy your holiday?"

"Great. I would definitely recommend it if what you look for in a holiday is scorching deserts, ravenous beasts and the only form of entertainment is gambling" Nicholas replied.

Rosaline frowned. "I thought it was safer in the Quarter".

"I thought it was too but then an imp attacked the casino we were staying in. We had to be evacuated and come home early. Which is lucky because it means I get to join the mission".

Nicholas brought something to their group dynamic. A calming breeze to their arguments as well as a good fighter. Where would that leave Rosaline? Her feelings of inadequacy were already growing without adding another brilliant agent to the mix.

They made their way back to the bench. Upon seeing Nicholas, Adelaide's face did not light or make any sign she was pleased to see him. She merely narrowed her eyes at Victoria.

"Hello Nicholas" Adelaide said and turned to Victoria. "You brought someone else on our mission?"

"Indeed. We need all the people we can get" Victoria replied.

"And yet you wouldn't let Penelope tag along?"

"We don't have time for people who just tag along. This is a serious mission, Adelaide"

"Are you talking about Agent Pembrook?" Nicholas asked. "I heard she was a talented healer. Perhaps she would be useful".

"Fine" Victoria said. "I'll send her a telegraph telling her to meet us at the harbour".

Victoria marched across the offices. Rosaline, Adelaide and Nicholas boarded the train and Victoria soon joined them. The journey was silent. Even Nicholas – who was normally so talkative - just stared out the window. Rosaline shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She racked her brains, trying to think of something, anything to say. A newspaper article she had seen this morning popped into her mind.

"There was an article about us in the newspaper today" Rosaline said. "They praised the fact that we were putting our differences aside and working with Amitician agents to track down Erebus. They even had a name for our group – the Falcons"

"That's ridiculous" Victoria said. "Why does the media have to sugar-coat everything? This is a serious matter and they're making out as if it's merely a child's game".

"I agree it does seem a little juvenile" Nicholas paused. "But nicknames do tend to stick. I mean, people have been calling you The Warrior Queens for years and they show no sign of stopping".

"I don't think the Falcons is the worst thing to be called" Adelaide said. "I actually think it suits us".

Rosaline grinned at Adelaide.

"I think it's pretty cool" Rosaline said. . "The team of agents who tracked down the Boswick strangler were called the Cobras. Why can't we have a name?"

Victoria's exterior did not change, except for the faintest hint of a smile.

"If you insist on calling us the Falcons, then I can't stop you" Victoria said.

Rosaline smiled which soon faded when the train stopped. They were finally in Amiticia. The thought made Rosaline shudder.

And so we have our core team - the falcons. What do you think of the name? Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.