Chapter 7 - Adelaide

Shards of screams tore through Adelaide's ears. The stench of burning sulphur made her gag and the air tasted like ash and metal. The walls were sterile white with mould seeping through. The room itself was cramped, just enough space to fit a single bed and then some. Adelaide didn't have a clue where she was. All she knew was she had to get out.

She rolled over with a groan and assessed her injuries. Obviously there was the broken ribs, she suspected she had a sprained ankle. Then they were was the cuts and scrapes. Her biggest worry was the gash on her arm, which she had acquired during a struggle with a hooded figure. All her injuries didn't look that bad. They almost looked like they were healing. But they couldn't be. Not yet. Not without the help of healing magic...

Adelaide sat up and the dizziness hit her. It was nothing compared to what she felt in the forest, but it was still intense. That's right. She was in a forest. And now she was here in a funny smelling room?

She didn't have time to wait until someone came to her and offered an explanation. Adelaide threw the thin duvet off and to her absolute horror, found she wore a white jumpsuit. Where was her uniform? Where was her weapons? Who had changed her and why? Adelaide bit down her panic and attempted to stand up. She was met with legs that couldn't support her. She collapsed on the bed just as the door creaked open.

A young girl stood in the doorway. Maybe about seven or eight years old. She had mane of curly red hair and big brown eyes. Adelaide relaxed a little, in spite of the pain.

"Hello. What's your name?" Adelaide said

The little girl stayed in doorway, chewing at her hair.

"It's okay. I'm not going to hurt you" Adelaide said.

Adelaide attempted to move again but her veins felt like they were filled with lead. She winced as pain laced itself across her ribs.

"Could you please tell me where I am?" Adelaide said as softly as she could. She was in no mood to coax an answer out of a child, but lashing out didn't seem fair to the girl.

The girl shifted uncomfortably on her feet.

"It's called Elysium. It's my home" she whispered.

Wasn't Elysium another name for heaven? Adelaide didn't have time to ponder the name before the door burst open. Two men walked in wearing matching brown uniforms. Their caps were donned low and they brandished bows and arrows. Their tag names read Officer Cadalian and Officer Mirosson.

"You're not supposed to be here" one of them barked.

The little girl jumped up.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry" the girl said, running out the room.

Adelaide glared at the guards. "She was only trying to help".

"Would you like to come with us, ma'am" the smaller guard said.

The other guard glared at him. "Don't treat her like a guest. You're coming with us whether you like it or not".

And then he lunged forward. Adelaide swerved out the way. Dashing for the door, she pushed the other guard out the way. Or attempted to. With all the pain pulsing through her, Adelaide found it hard to concentrate. Her legs and arms were weak and despite all her determination, Officer Cadalian easily caught her.

"Don't make it worse for yourself" he whispered harshly.

Adelaide continued to struggle out of his grasp. She had to escape. She didn't care how many tunnels she had to run down or how many guards she had to take down. She was not staying here a minute longer.