Chapter 34 - Victoria

It was eerily silent. There was a distant rumbling that sent a chill to Victoria's bones. She walked on, regardless of the growing fear stirring inside her. Some light seeped through the cracks in the ceiling but the darkness seemed to linger in every corner. Victoria felt claustrophobic even through the walls were about 30 feet apart.

"You know that thing people do in movies where the group splits up. Let's not do that" Kiyan said.

"Splitting up hasn't really worked out for us" Nicholas said.

Sinuous shadows crept up the walls. Inhuman cries reverberated throughout the tunnels. Victoria felt a shiver go up her spine. Her job was dangerous but this was the first time going into a mission when she was sure she wouldn't come out alive.

They finally came to a door. Victoria walked over with trepidation and wrapped her hand around the door knob. It was cold against her sweating palms. The air tasted like copper and something tangy and vile. Victoria attempted to turn the knob, but it was stuck.

"The door won't open" Victoria said.

"I think that's the least of our problems" Maxwell said.

Victoria followed where Maxwell was looking, and what she saw horrified her to her very core. Sludge formed in a puddle on the ceiling and flowed across the ceiling in a tidal wave of goo and terror. Victoria backed away from the door. The sludge rained down on them. Victoria wiped the goo out of her eyes and stumbled forward. Her foot landed in water and Nicholas pulled her back. Her eyes readjusted and she found a river coursing in front of her. The murkiness of the brown water meant it was impossible to tell how deep it was.

"Where does it lead to?" Victoria wondered aloud.

"You can't tell" Nicholas said. "Unless you fancy a swim down the canal".

"There's an inscription on the door" Rosaline exclaimed.

Sure enough a message had been embossed on the door. Warrior Queens, acrobats and thieves beware. A chill went through Victoria. The message was clearly for them but why would Dominic warn them?

"I was an acrobat" Rosaline said, staring at the door with a wild fear. "Before my mum died...I used to go to gymnastics. That door was meant for me".

Victoria stared at length of the river.

"There's no to make it across" Victoria said and then caught Adelaide's expression. "It's too dangerous to swim, if that's what you're thinking".

"I was actually going to suggest I freeze it" Adelaide said.

"And if it cracks?" Maxwell said.

"Anything's better than just standing here" Kiyan pointed out.

Maxwell grimaced. "You better watch who you're talking to. You're not an agent yet".

Adelaide looked faintly annoyed but let it slip. She focussed her attention on the river, pressing a palm to the ground before them. Ice formed on the ground and spread out covering and stopping the river flowing.

Adelaide took a tentative step forward. The ice did not move, did not even make a crackling sound. She beckoned the others to join her. Victoria was the first to follow her. The rest soon followed. As they made their way across the ice rink, Victoria could feel the ice shift under her, a reminder of the river beneath them.

Rosaline was well ahead of everyone. She paced stealthily, determined to reach the door first. Her fingers were about to brush the doorknob when she slipped and crashed through the ice. Her scream tore Victoria's heart in half.