Chapter 28 - Victoria

The dining room felt so empty. It had once been bustling with conversation, now it was only Raymond and Victoria. She stared at her plate, her appetite fading. Roast lamb, potatoes and carrots. The meals at the Amitician headquarters had been bland at best. Nothing like the banquets she received in Concordia. Her favourite dish would surely be a disappointment. The hall was silent apart from the clinking of cutlery against plates.

"I dread to think what they'll do to Adelaide once they find her. Running away only further proves her guiltiness" Raymond said.

"Adelaide's not guilty" Victoria said.

Adelaide was guilty. She was involved with Dominic but that was a long time ago. It might as well had been a different Adelaide. And there was no way Victoria was going to let anyone hurt her.

"You might know that, but you have to look at it from their perspective" Raymond replied. "Frankly I think it was a stupid idea busting out of jail. If she was innocent, she would've been proven so".

Victoria would like to have thought Adelaide broke out of jail because she couldn't stand the dark damp cell or she was missing out on the action but Victoria had a sickening feeling it was because of Kiyan. Victoria had never seen Adelaide put her trust in someone she barely knew. It wasn't smart. It wasn't logical. And it wasn't Adelaide. It was not that Victoria wanted to intervene. It was Adelaide's life after all. It was just Victoria didn't want Adelaide to fall prey to another Dominic.

Kiyan walked in, but he didn't creep in quietly like he normally did. He walked with more purpose and force.

"You've decided us to join us this -" Victoria said.

"You must've trained pretty hard to get to where you are now" Kiyan interrupted her.

He was so reluctant to say anything on the airship and now he was casually interrupting her?

"Yes. It's the same for all AIA agents. But most people don't get to my position in their lifetime" Victoria said.

"It was easier for you being the boss's daughter" Raymond said.

"My father's status has nothing to do with my position in the company" Victoria snapped.

"You're Abel Elderwen's daughter?" Kiyan asked, as he sat down, all his new found verve gone.

"Yes. Do you know him?" Victoria said curtly.

"No but my mum did"

"That's nice" Victoria said and turned back to Raymond. "I've trained every day since I was twelve. Don't you dare accuse me of having an easy ride?"

"It just seemed a little suspicious. Such a young person already achieving level 6 status" Raymond said.

"That's impressive. How many levels are they?" Kiyan asked.

"Ten" Victoria said. "But no one achieves that unless you're in charge of the company"

"Would they let me join?" Kiyan asked.

Victoria thought she misheard him for a second.

"Please tell me you're joking" Victoria said.

"No" Kiyan replied.

Victoria threw a pleading look towards her fellow AIA member. Raymond looked like he was stifling a laugh.

"You don't have what it takes, kid" Raymond said.

A flash of annoyance passed over Kiyan's features.

"You don't know that. I've been self-sufficient for the past few years" Kiyan protested. "I can use a bow and arrow and I don't faint at the sight of blood".