Chapter 21 - Rosaline

The suspect was escorted onto the airship and dumped onto the couch. Nicholas and Cecelia, being the only people on the airship with medical training, tended to Adelaide in the royal suite.

The rest of the Falcons were in the sitting room looking on intently as Victoria sat across from the suspect. She attempted to keep her cool demur but her anger seeped through.

"State your name" Victoria said.

"Kiyan Cadalian" he said, his eyes darting around the room.

"Where have you been residing for the past month?"

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you" he said.

"Try me" Victoria said.

Kiyan took a deep breath and said:

"I live in an underground camp for Enchanters that practise illegal magic. My mother, Brenda Cadalian runs the camp but is not an Enchanter herself. I've lived there with my sister for eight years".

Rosaline thought she misheard him. An underground black market that the AIA didn't know about? Impossible.

Victoria blinked and then said:

"It's a felony to lie to an AIA agent".

"I'm not lying" Kiyan said with complete sincerity.

"So if this underground network is real, how come it's never been found?" Victoria asked.

"Because they made sure it didn't. I don't know maybe my mum paid off a couple of officials. It doesn't matter because now you can destroy the camp for good".

Victoria fished a photograph from her pocket, the grainy one of a kid's birthday party they found in the cottage.

"Is this you?" Victoria said, sliding the photo across the table.

Kiyan stared at the image like it was a bomb set to go off any second.

"Where did get you this?" he said.

"Answer the question" Victoria raised her voice.

"Y-yes that's me with my parents and my grandparents" Kiyan said.

"Where are they now? Are they in the camp too?"

"Just my mum. The rest of my family are - are dead"

"You're not asking the right questions" Rosaline spoke up.

"We have to find out whether he is telling the truth" Victoria objected.

Cecelia came running through the living room with an expression that reminded Rosaline of a startled deer.

"It's Adelaide. She's convulsing – I don't know what to do" Cecelia's voice came out high and squeaky.

"You have to give her something to counteract the lead infection" Kiyan said.

Victoria glared at him.

"Don't give her anything until we know what's wrong with her" Victoria said walking out the sitting room.

Rosaline stood up and raced over to Kiyan.

"What did you do to Adelaide?" Rosaline shouted.

"I didn't do anything. I helped her escape" Kiyan protested.

"Why would you help her escape?" Maxwell sneered.

"Because we had a deal and I wanted to get out of that place. The Enchanters they –they aren't from their own free will. It was a horrendous place to live. I wanted no part of it"