Chapter 35 - Adelaide

Stars exploded in the back of Adelaide's eyelids. She watched the pretty colours dance before she realised what she was meant to be doing. She forced herself to sit up. That's when she realised everyone else was awake. Staggering around, bumping into walls. A surge of panic hit Adelaide. She knew a doom spell when she saw one. Confusion, blindness, hallucinations. All the symptoms were there. The only antidote was time. They didn't have time.

Dominic appeared at the doorway. Seeing him made a cold fury rise up within her. He had done this to her friends. He would pay. This time there would be no hesitation. Adelaide, charged with electricity, threw an ice spell at him. The ice shot towards him in a blue stream of light. It didn't hit him. The light flared and exploded. Remnants of the ice explosion hit Adelaide. Adelaide fell the ground. She couldn't move her bones were frozen, ice ran through her veins.

"That's impressive how quickly you conjured up an ice spell" Dominic said. "It's a shame magic doesn't work on me anymore".

Adelaide finally regained the ability to move but she couldn't stop shivering. She slowly stood up and hobbled over to Rosaline who was shaking and crying in the corner of the room. Adelaide tried a healing spell, which was difficult because Rosaline kept shying away from her.

"That won't work" Dominic said.

Adelaide knew it wouldn't work but she was desperate. Dominic could kill every one of them and she was powerless to stop him.

"They should be waking up soon. Too bad it will too late" Dominic said.

"You think I'm going to help you after all you've did? After what you did to my friends?" Adelaide shouted.

"They did it to themselves when they opened that door" Dominic said.

"I opened the door. Why aren't I affected?" Adelaide trembled. But not with fear. The coldness made her shiver but it was seeping out fast. Much like her restraint that was the only thing keeping her from attacking Dominic.

"You're temporarily immune to magic. Apart from your own spells" Dominic said. "Imagine being like that all the time. You could unlock the secrets of the universe. You could live forever".

"Listen very carefully" Adelaide said, walking over to Dominic until she stood only a few feet away from him. "I don't want anything you have to offer. There is nothing you can do or say to persuade me to help you. And you can't force me either. Because I am not afraid of you".

"Then there is very little you understand. Here" Dominic said handing her a blue pendant.

Adelaide recognised the pendant immediately. It was the same one Anya wore. If Dominic had the pendant...then where was Anya?

"I thought you would've worked it out by now" Dominic said. "After all, you're the one who made it".

Adelaide regarded the jewel and suddenly realised why it looked familiar. Images of her past came flying back to her.

Her matted hair clung to her face

As she hurtled down the streets of New Bethshire

The wooden box tucked under her arm

Rat a tat tat on the conjuror's door

250 Sterlings for a spell she could not do herself

A spell to change a box to a pendant

Trapped to imprisoned

The pendant so blue

Or black

Adelaide could never decide

It found its way to the bottom of the ocean

A memory suppressed until now

Until it floated to the surface

Despite a certain Enchanter's warning that she might never recall that night

It came back crystal clear

Like the streams in Concordia

Back home

"You knew where it was this whole time" Adelaide said.

"I never claimed to be looking for anything" Dominic said. "I was waiting for you, because I knew you'd come back".

Adelaide shook her head, tears forming in her eyes.

"You're crazy" Adelaide said. "Maybe I can't stop you but I won't help you either. Not with all the blood oaths in the world".

Dominic shrugged indifferently.

"Perhaps you'll change your mind once you realise what's at stake" Dominic said. "I really didn't want to do this".

Dominic hit a button and the projector lit up the wall in front of them. A grainy video showed a small figure huddled in the corner of the room. With the red mane of hair it wasn't hard to guess who it was.

"Anya" Adelaide whispered.

"Although you can't see it, the room it slowly filling up with carbon monoxide. I'd give her two, three hours".

Adelaide's heart almost stopped beating. She felt so angry that her breathing had become loud and rapid.

"You wouldn't actually hurt a child?" Adelaide said.

Dominic regarded her with a cold glare.

"You wouldn't let a child be hurt".

Adelaide stood in silence. She was transfixed with horror. Watching Anya huddle against the wall, Adelaide wondered if this little girl was worth the destruction of so many lives. Anya moved her lips as if she wanted to say something. Her breath came out like fog. Adelaide was shivering just looking at her. Dominic would really do anything. There had to be an end to this madness.

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.