Chapter 24 - Rosaline

Victoria thought Adelaide was dead. She wasn't. Victoria didn't want to believe Dominic was Erebus. He was. Victoria didn't think putting wards up in Amiticia would help the problem. It did. Victoria was wrong wrong wrong. Wasn't it possible she was wrong about the tracking spells? Rosaline hoped so. If Victoria was correct about the existence of tracking spells then Rosaline was about to do the biggest mistake of her life.

Rosaline skipped breakfast that morning and went straight into the guest rooms. Though her stomach rumbled and the smell of pancakes and fresh strawberries was enough to make even the strongest sway Rosaline felt determination so intense it was like it was coiled around her very soul. No longer would she be the weakest part of the trio. For Rosaline was about to embark upon her own adventure. One where she was the captain, where she had the authority to make the decisions.

Whilst walking on the velvet carpet, Rosaline felt an elated sense of worth. Like she was doing something important for a change. But that thought scared her. She hummed in the tune of "Where has the little blue bird gone?" an old Yu Haan song her mum used to sing.

She bumped into Kiyan, who carrying a large stack of books. Rosaline plastered a smile on her face. Kiyan had a sort of edgy look about him and sometimes he seemed to drift off into his little sad world but Adelaide trusted him. Rosaline wanted to stick to her motto of "being friendly to people unless they give you a reason to behave otherwise" but she had seen the atrocities of the camp. To know that he was part of that was to know Rosaline would never fully trust Kiyan Cadalian. No matter how guilty she felt about letting him be beaten.

"That's a lot books you got there" she said.

"Yes" he said. A man of few words.

"You're going to read them all?" Rosaline said.

"I hope so" Kiyan replied eying the door to the stairwell.

He seemed keen to rush up the stairs, so Rosaline was keen to keep him where he was.

"Hey that's Adelaide's favourite" Rosaline said, pointing at The Downfall of Winter.

"I know. I thought I'd give it a try" Kiyan said.

"They look heavy, I'll help you" Rosaline said, her hands reaching towards the stack of books in his hands.

"No" Kiyan said a little too quickly. "No... thank you - I got them.

"Okay" Rosaline said and let him walk along to his room.

Kiyan was hiding something, and Rosaline would find out what it was. But right now, she was on a mission.

Rosaline knocked on Casper's door. When no answer came, she barged in. the prince was sat at a desk, writing on a slip of paper. He was dressed in a blue cashmere suit, as if he were going to a ballroom dance. Rosaline wondered if he had brought his fancy clothes with him just to spite the rest of them or it was some ancient rule that royals had to act superior all the time.

"Come in?" he said.

"I need your help" she said quietly.

Casper put his pen down and sighed.

"Let me guess. They've found Adelaide and you want me to what? Put a stop to her execution? Forget it. Even if I wanted to, I could never convince my father. He's been after that one for years"

"They did not find Adelaide" Rosaline blurted out. "I need you to fly us to Shinama"

"What's in Shinama apart from flesh-eating monsters and gambling?" the prince asked.

"Enchanters who know about tracking spells" Rosaline said.

Casper's eyes narrowed.

"Tracking spells?"

Rosaline ran forward and slammed her palms on the desk, not as harshly as she wanted to, in a weak attempt at aggression.

"We don't have any time to lose. We need to find Erebus and soon. The tracking spell could be our last hope" she said. A little dramatic but it got to the point.

Casper's exterior did not change. Of course he was not afraid of Rosaline. He'd never seen her fight.

"It could be a suicide mission but if you're not prepared to die for your country what are you prepared to die for?"

"So you up for it?" Rosaline said.

Casper shrugged. "It could be fun. I guess I could fly there".

Rosaline fought the urge to jump for joy.

"Thank you" she said and dashed off.

Rosaline bounced into the training gym looking for more recruits. She spotted Nicholas on the climbing ladders. That was one person she knew would be up for it. Rosaline sauntered over to him. Nicholas smile dropped when he realised what she was going to do. Rosaline tugged Nicholas's foot and he slipped through the bars and landed with a thud.

"Ow. What was that for?" Nicholas complained, picking himself off the mat.

"Fancy a trip to Shinama?" Rosaline asked.

"Shinama, isn't that where all the monsters are?" Nicholas asked.

"It's also where the Enchanter's fortress is" Rosaline said. "Don't be such a wimp. We need to find out more about tracking spells in order to find Erebus".

"I take it Victoria doesn't know about this little escapade?" Nicholas said.

"No and she doesn't need to know about it" Rosaline said firmly.

It took a while to convince Nicholas, as he was reluctant to betray one of his oldest friends but he eventually agreed. They even got Maxwell on board although that was more of an accident. He overheard their conversation and demanded he be brought along too. Although Rosaline didn't like him as a person, she had to admit he was a pretty good agent and an even better fighter. Soon they were up in the air, flying to Shinama. Along with the sensation of flying, Rosaline also felt a sense of certain dread. She hadn't stopped to think about the dangers she might actually face in Shinama. But it was too late to turn back now.

Did Rosaline fly off too soon? Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.