Chapter 39 - Kiyan

Adelaide dragged Kiyan along the pier. They were still in view of the field, but far enough away that that Kiyan's head stopped swimming. But his heart still pounded. He'd just fought a demon. A demon. Just over a little mouth ago he didn't even believe they existed and now he was trying to rid the earth of one. It was almost too ridiculous, but also thrilling.

Adelaide looked less excited. She was sickly pale and looked a little deranged with her frazzled hair and torn dress. She stopped running and faced him.

"They might try their hardest but they'll never defeat it. Not while those manacles bind it to earth" Adelaide said.

Kiyan nodded and pretended he could follow Adelaide's train of thought.

"Okay..."

Adelaide hesitated. She was normally so articulate but she was having a hard time getting her words out.

"I'm its life-force. What's keeping it here. As long as I live, it lives" Adelaide said looking at the ground.

Then her eyes darted towards the lake. Kiyan's heart nearly stopped.

"No" he exclaimed. "You can't be serious..."

"Do you know CPR?" Adelaide asked.

"Of course" Kiyan said. "But what if it doesn't work? What if I can't revive you?"

Adelaide frowned.

"Then I come back as a poltergeist" she said.

"That's not funny" Kiyan replied.

Adelaide eyes were shiny and her voice was shaking.

"I'm desperate. I don't know what else to do" she said. "Y'know when I said I wasn't prepared to lay down my life. Well now I am. I'm ready. I finally understand real sacrifice. Not throwing your life away on something petty. But giving up your life for something more important. That gives your life meaning".

Adelaide's voice broke at her last words. She was not giving up and they were running out of time.

Kiyan took a deep breath. "Okay".

Adelaide smiled sadly and opened her mouth to say something. But stopped. What was there to say?

Adelaide hitched up her dress, waddled into the water and lay down on the bank. Kiyan held her shoulders down as she struggled. She choked, flailing her arms in desperation. Kiyan felt like the guilt would physically crush him.

Finally Adelaide, the girl who he owed everything to, stopped moving.

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.