Chapter 29 - Adelaide

Kiyan walked across the hall towards the royal family with more confidence than he probably felt. Adelaide watched it unfold from the shadows. Her heart thudded with his every step. There was so many things that could go wrong. Victoria insisted he do this to prove himself trustworthy. Adelaide in turn insisted she be there if she hid herself with magic.

Kiyan bowed his head. "Your majesty, I am here representing the Falcons".

"Are you here to explain why those forsaken wards didn't work" King Leonard's voice boomed.

"Those wards have nothing to do with us. It was the Enchanters-"

"Typical Concordians" King Leonard said interrupting Kiyan. "Always blaming others for their mistakes".

"Let the boy speak" Queen Magdalena said gently.

"I don't see why I should. The Falcons have caused as much trouble as it is. And as for that Adelaide. I just hope she's somewhere far away, because if she ever shows her face in Amiticia again. Let's just say the consequences won't be pleasant".

Kiyan was bone white. He looked like he could be sick. Adelaide herself felt the nausea grip hold of her. But she didn't let it overtake her. She held onto something far stronger. A burning hatred for the king, for this entire godforsaken kingdom. A hatred that had been lingering for years, mostly dormant, had awakened tonight. And heaven be damned if it wasn't going to manifest tonight.

"Go on boy" the King said. "Continue with your ludicrous explanation. Hell only knows I could use some amusement"

"Erebus managed to weaken the wards using spells he learned from the Enchanter's fortress. We believe the key to his capture is in that library" Kiyan said.

"So you plan to fly to Shinama?" Leonard said.

"Actually the Falcons are already in Shinama" Kiyan said quickly.

The queen gasped. "My son is in that creature infested wasteland?"

"The Falcons will let no harm come to the prince" Kiyan assured.

"I demand you bring my son back immediately" the King shouted.

Adelaide clenched her fists and felt the tingle of magic rising from the earth and coursing through her veins.

"We can't do that" Kiyan said. "We don't have an airship"

"Find one"

That was enough for Adelaide. She stepped out of the mist into the view of the king and his guards. A look of pure hatred flickered in the king's eyes. Adelaide stared back with equally the same wrath.

"Seize her" the king shouted.

All the guards in the room ran towards her. Adelaide kept walking as if they didn't faze her. Once they got too close she threw up an ice ward. The guards looked comical in their momentarily frozen state. The queen screamed and hide behind her throne.

Adelaide strutted past a bewildered Kiyan up to the king until she was within strangling distance.

"Listen girl. I am a very powerful man. It would serve you well not to antagonize me"

"No. I think you'll find I am the one the power" Adelaide said and with one click of her fingers she and Kiyan were gone and the guards were released from their ice prisons.

Don't forgot to like/comment if you like what you read.