Chapter 32 - Adelaide

Adelaide rubbed her jaw, willing it to heal like the rest of her broken body. She had found by a pack of bloodthirsty AIA agents. Word had spread across the radio like wildfire: Adelaide had been hiding under the roof of the AIA headquarters all this time. It was chaos. Before most people knew what was happening, doors were bolted down. Every inch of the headquarters was searched. It was only a matter of time. But Adelaide was ready.

It was quite dim-witted, attacking her in her own room, where all her weapons were. Fools must've been desperate – they give it their best shot. But if throwing a few punches and attempting to corner the culprit was their best shot, the criminals in Amiticia could sleep easy tonight.

Adelaide easily escaped their capture; ducking and thrashing and slashing. Slashing not stabbing. Adelaide wanted to make sure the next person she killed deserved it.

Once she jumped down the spiral staircase, she wondered where she would go next. There was agents prowling the streets and this very building. The price for her head was ridiculous, almost as much as Erebus himself. The fact she herself was an agent seemed to make no difference. Adelaide was wanted - dead or alive.

She had to get to the airship. Even though her body ached, she knew the agents who attacked her were worse than she was. The realisation gave her a sick sense of pride. Adelaide blended into the shadows and made her to the landing deck outside.

She thought she was alone, the only person in the corridor but a scream of agony sent her running.

"I told you, I don't know where she is" a familiar voice shouted.

No. It couldn't be.

Adelaide peeked out from the corner. To her horror she spotted Kiyan lying on the ground in a curled position. A group of men were standing around him. She only recognised one. Raymond.

"He's lying. He's been hiding her all this time and he's still hiding her" Raymond said.

Adelaide's stomach lurched as Raymond kicked Kiyan in the stomach.

"Dominic wants him in one piece" one of the other guys said.

A scream tore from Adelaide before she could stop herself. The group turned their attention to her. A spark flew up her legs telling her to run. But she couldn't.

"Don't let her get away" Raymond shouted.

Adelaide bounded towards Raymond and threw him against the wall. Her elbow jammed against his throat and the air seeped out of him.

"You're the one who ratted me out" Adelaide screamed. "I trusted you. We all trusted you".

Raymond's lackeys pulled her away from the gasping Raymond.

"Dominic should've killed you when he had the chance" Raymond choked.

Adelaide felt her rage bubble up and explode into fireworks. All her anger was directed at Raymond. She felt the familiar tingle of power at her fingertips, fuelled by anger, and brought it down on Raymond's head in a lightning strike that erupted. As soon as Raymond dropped to ground, his lackeys dropped their grip on her and ran.

Adelaide scrambled over to Kiyan who had blood running down his face.

"Kiyan" she said softly.

He turned over and his shirt was covered in blood.

"Heaven's above, Kiyan" Adelaide whispered.

"The airship's here" he said.

"I know" Adelaide said. "We have to go quickly".