Chapter 12 - Victoria

Victoria marched along the dock and up the street towards the AIA headquarters. The building dwarfed the rest of the city that gleamed in the sunlight. It didn't look that different from Concordia's capital, Havensborough. There were fewer cars but more boats in the docks. It wasn't the dull grey country people had made it out to be. Still, Victoria wouldn't be sad to leave it. She had told Ritchie to prepare the ship back home first thing in the morning. Victoria hadn't wanted to waste any time.

She had received some strange looks on her way to the docks. Of course she had been recognised more than a few times before but that didn't she was used to it. It didn't mean she was more comfortable with it.

When Victoria arrived back in AIA headquarters, the Falcons were waiting for her in reception. They were already dressed in uniform. Concordians in their blue uniforms and Amiticians in their red uniforms. Victoria was startled to realise the uniforms were exactly the same, except from the colour and the logo.

Everyone dragged their suitcases behind them and throwing them into the carriage outside. Victoria was about to run up to her room, when she was stopped by a frowning Maxwell. He dropped her suitcase at her feet, just missing her toes.

"I hope you're happy" Maxwell snapped.

His face was set into a sneer. He reminded Victoria of a bully she knew back in the orphanage. The one who locked her in cupboards and pushed her in the mud. Victoria vowed she would never let herself be bullied again. She put her hands on her hips and tried to make herself look as tall as possible.

"I think you'll find I voted against all this" Victoria said.

Maxwell just shook his head. "This is why we have leaders. People need guidance, not the chance to doom themselves".

Victoria stared at Maxwell but there was no humour in his eyes. He was being serious. It was only now that Victoria could understand how people could support the king, if more people were like Maxwell. But didn't she agree with him? How many times had Victoria rolled her eyes at someone's poor decision making or gave someone orders because they didn't know any better? After all, if were up to Victoria, they would never be leaving Amiticia.

Victoria tried to ignore her bitter thoughts as she climbed into the carriage. Unlike the one they arrived in, this carriage only had enough space for six people to sit on the seats. Luckily, there was only six people left.

"How do we plan to put these wards up?" Raymond asked. "It's not like they teach that kind of magic in school. At least not in Amiticia".

"No. It's really something that only a priest would know" Victoria said.

"I bet Adelaide would know how to do it" Rosaline said quietly.

"Then what are we waiting for? Let's get to the nearest temple" Nicholas said.

"I doubt they'd help if they believe its sacrilege" Victoria said.

"Plus the temples are almost devoted to the king as they are to the angels" Cecelia said. Maxwell shot her a poisonous look. "What? It's true".

"Not all Enchanters work in temples. And not all are faithful to the law" Rosaline said.

"Are you suggesting we sought out a Conjuror?" Raymond asked.

Even the word sent a shiver up Victoria's spine. Conjurors were Enchanters who used forbidden magic for money. Or maybe to cause pain. People who went there were desperate and usually ended up worse off.

"I don't want to mess around with a Conjuror. They're tricksters" Cecelia quivered.

"We're not going to" Maxwell said.