Chapter 11

I do not own Teen Wolf.
Obviously.

I sat next to Lydia in the police station. We were waiting for Meredith to say something about being the Benefactor.

Sheriff sighed, walking out of his office, towards us.

"What did she say?" I asked him.

"Hard to tell. There were words. I'm not sure there were actual sentences though." Sheriff said.

"Nothing." Lydia sighed.

"I think we need a psychologist. Or a medium." Sheriff said, picking up a phone.

"Is she even competent enough to be charged with something?" I asked him.

He slammed down the phone, "If Meredith is the Benefactor, that means she was competent enough to trick Kate into opening the Hale vault, competent enough to blackmail Brunski into helping her, and competent enough to create a hit list and pay out money for its completion. This girl's practically a criminal mastermind." Sheriff explained.

"There's gotta be a reason why she would do this." I said.

"I'm only interested in the 'why', if it tells me the 'how'." Sheriff sighed.

"You mean how to stop it." Lydia said.

"After what happened to Scott tonight, this thing's still going. The payments could be automatic. And as long as the killers are getting paid, and paid very well, that list is gonna keep getting smaller." Sheriff explained.

"We don't just need to stop the dead pool." I said.

"We need to stop the money." Sheriff finished.

---

I woke up to the door to Sheriff's office opening. I was leaning against Lydia's shoulder, a coat draped over us.

"I thought I told you two to go home." Sheriff said, sitting down next to me.

"I thought I told you we weren't going anywhere." I smiled.

"Did they get anything out of her?" Lydia asked him.

"Should have gone with the medium." Sheriff sighed.

Parrish walked in, causing all three of us to stand up.

"We went through everything in Brunski's office, and so far everything amounts to pretty much nothing." Parrish explained. "Did you two not go home yet?"

"Not until Meredith starts talking." Lydia said.

"Girls, I promise she'll talk, and when she does, I'll let you know. Trust me on this. Everybody talks eventually." Sheriff said.

"Then let us try." I suggested.

"No, we've discussed this already." He exclaimed.

"Sheriff, we've gotten through to her before." I told him.

"Just let us try." Lydia said.

---

"I think I'm getting an idea of how all this happened. You used Brunski, right?" I asked Meredith.

"You knew he'd killed people, and that he would do it again. He used our grandmother's code for the dead pool." Lydia added.

"He put it online. He too the money from the Hale vault, then turned the bearer bonds into cash. He made the payments." I continued.