Prank War [27]

“Step up onto the stage when I call your name,” Mrs. Moore continued. She had leaned a little too close to microphone, and a screech came from the speakers again.

    I cringed as I felt my hears start to ring.

    “Sorry,” she apologized, taking a small step back, “Alright then. Let’s get started. This year’s finalists are Caden Stewart, Steve Harley, Ariane Laker, Jake Thornton, Georgia Kingston and Kristen Johnson. Give them a hand of applause.”

    Since Caden had been helping to fix the sound system, he was the closest to the stage. He walked onto the stage first. He ran his hand through his hair and quickly adjusted his tux. Georgia – soda can girl stepped up onto the stage and stood next to him.

    She was so going to be my next target.

    I quickly jumped onto the stage, and tried to keep my balance on the heels Mackenzie had made me wear at the last second. They wear short heels – but still heels. I walked towards Georgia, my heels making a loud tapping sound with every step I took. She was looking at Caden for some suspicious reason, and I tapped her on the shoulder.

    She turned to look at me, and I gave her a big smile.

    “Move,” I pointed towards the left, motioning for her to step away from Caden. She stared at me but didn’t say anything, and took a few steps to the left.

    I stepped in between her and Caden, and Caden reached for my hand.

    “It’s not good to make enemies at this point,” Caden leaned towards me and whispered.

    “She won’t be a threat,” I murmured back, “You set up the camera, right?”

    “Yeah. And the alarm should go off in about twenty minutes,” he whispered in my ear, making sure no one could hear us.

    “Congratulations on making it so far,” Mrs. Moore was saying, “And good luck to you six.”

    The gym erupted in cheers again. I felt so awkward standing up there, especially since I was wearing a dress.

    “We can go now, right?” I asked Caden in a whispered.

    “Oh come on, it’s not so bad standing up here, where everyone can see you in your beautiful dress,” he teased. “On second thought, it’s not such a good idea. Maybe I’ll end up having to punch a few guys for talking to you.”

    “You’re my hero,” I said in a half-sarcastic, half-joking voice. He squeezed my hand and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. The cheers around the room grew even louder, and I felt my cheeks heat up a bit.

    “I’m out of here,” I said and walked off the stage, dragging Caden off with me. I walked through the crowd, trying to find Max and Mackenzie without any success.

    “You do know they’re standing next to Max at the DJ booth, right?” Caden asked me, reading my mind.

    “You could have told me that earlier.”

    I lead him towards the DJ booth, where Max was just about to start playing another mainstream pop song.

    “Wait,” I held out my hand to stop him, “Will you play this for me?”

    I walked over to the folded up bleachers and retrieved my iPod from its hiding place. I handed it to him and he attached it to his system.

    “What’s the song?”

    “It’s a kpop song,” I smiled at him as I heard the song started to play.

    “Kpop?”