Prank War [19]

“Ugh, I hate buses,” I said with a disgusted look. I was standing on the first step of a seriously stinky yellow bus.

    “Hurry up,” Max told me, pushing me forward. I stumbled, almost falling down.

    “Hey! Watch it,” I told him as I made my way onto the bus - towards the very back.

    “I think I’m going to throw up,” I made a face as I slipped into one of the seats in the last row.

    “Then I am definitely not sitting next to you,” Max said, quickly moving to the other side. Mackenzie was behind him, and quickly glanced at her options.

    “Just don’t throw up on me, ‘kay?” she said as she sat down next to me.

    “No promises,” I smiled. Then I caught sight of Cameron walking onto the bus. Just as I was about to call out his name, I saw him sit down next to a blonde girl.

    “You’re kidding. He’s ditching us?” I asked. Mackenzie looked to see who I was talking about. She laughed.

    “He’s sitting with Bree. I guess there are just some things that are unpredictable,” Mackenzie said with a gentle laugh. I had a burning suspicion that there was a double meaning behind those words.

    “Well, I get the whole seat to myself then,” Max smirked, preparing to lie down.

    “Wait no,” I quickly said, realizing that he was getting the better option, “Mackenzie can sit with you. So you won’t be, uh, lonely.”

    “Nah it’s ok. I like being lonely,” he joked. But he scooted over, like he was giving Mackenzie the option.

    “Gee, I feel so wanted,” Mackenzie said sarcastically. Just as the bus started forward, she moved into the seat with Max.

    I stretched out my legs, and then lay down on the seat.

    “Where’s Caden?” Max suddenly asked Mackenzie. I placed my hands on top of my stomach, staring up at the ceiling. There was some sort of random black shape on there. I squinted my eyes, trying to figure out what it looked like.

    “He borrowed one of the teacher’s car,” I heard Mackenzie reply, “He said he had to meet up with someone.”

    I raised my hand, traced the black shape with my index finger. It looked like a duck with no butt.

    “Uh, what are you doing?” I heard a familiar voice ask. I lowered my arm, and saw that it was Cameron.

    “I’m living, as you can see,” I told him, “What are you doing here, ditcher?”

    Cameron rolled his eyes, “I was wondering if I could borrow a pen.”

    “Are you going to poke yourself with it?” I asked, sitting up straight.

    “Yes, yes I am,” he said sarcastically.

    “Here,” Mackenzie fumbled through the purse she was carrying and pulled out a ballpoint pen.

    “Thanks,” Cameron said, and made his way back to his seat.

    I suddenly remember something, and asked, “What’s the tunnel anyways?” I remembered Caden and Bree saying something about meeting someone at ‘the tunnel’, whatever that meant.

    “You’ve heard of the tunnel?” Max asked, eyebrow raised.

    “Yeah. What is it?”