Prank War [25]

“What did you say?” Mackenzie asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

    “It’s simple English,” I told her, “I’ve already repeated it three times.”

    “Say it again.”

    “Your brother’s my boyfriend now,” I rolled my eyes.

    “I told you so!” she smirked. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this happy and excited before. “By the way, what size are you?”

    “Why?”

    “Well, if you ever end up being my sister-in-law, I can borrow your clothes,” she grinned.

    I rolled my eyes, “Why are you so happy? It’s not like he won the lottery or something.”

    “Caden doesn’t fall in love with just anyone,” Mackenzie said, “I was afraid that he was going to grow old and alone. Now he has you, right? It’s all good now.”

    I still didn’t understand why she was so happy about it, but at least she was happy.

    “Did he ask you to the dance?”

    I nodded.

    “Good,” Mackenzie said, “At least you have a date now. See? The dance won’t be so bad. And the dress I bought for you is beautiful. I can’t wait till you try it on.”

    “Who’s your date?” I asked.

    “Well, a couple of guys asked me, but they weren’t the one I had in mind,” she shrugged, “But that doesn’t mean I won’t have fun with my friends.”

    Max’s face immediately popped into my mind. I was expecting Max to ask Mackenzie to the dance. Was he chicken or had he decided to ask someone else?

    “I should go,” I told her, “I have to catch on my homework.”

    She looked a little surprised, “Oh well … have fun.”

    “Have fun?” I laughed, “Thanks. I know I won’t.”

    I waved goodbye and walked to my room. There was a stack of paper next to my bed – homework and projects I should have turned in already. I had talked to the teachers earlier today and they agreed to let me have a couple of days to catch up.

    I sighed and sat down on my bed, taking the first piece of paper from the stack. Math. Twenty-six math problems.

    I laid down on my bed, not wanting to do any of them. I groaned loudly, even though no one could hear me.

    There was a knock on my door.

    “Come in,” I said loudly, staring at the ceiling.

    “Are you busy?”

    I turned my head towards the door and saw Max come in. He closed the door behind him.

    “Not at all,” I told him, setting the math homework back on the stack of papers. Max sat down in my desk chair.

    “I need your help,” he said.

    “For a prank? I have a good one, but I need a computer genius to hack into the school system. Can you do that?”

    Max shook his head, “You should ask Caden. But that’s not why I came here.”

    “What else could you ask my help for?” I wanted to know.

    “So, umm, well I wanna ask this girl to the dance,” he looked extremely uncomfortable, “But -”

    “Just ask her. Mackenzie doesn’t have a date yet.”

    He stared at me, stunned. “How did you know?”

    I rolled my eyes, sitting up on my bed, “I’m psychic, that’s how. Anyways, just ask her. A couple of guys have asked her already but she turned them down.”

    “What if she turns me down too?”

    “Oh, stop being a wimp,” I told him with a smile, “You’ll never know until you try, right?”

    “You’re being very positive right now,” he commented suspiciously.

    I smirked, “Is that bad?”

    “Does Caden really make you that happy?” Max grinned.

    I stared at him.

    “Caden told me,” he answered my unspoken question.

    “Oh that’s right,” I nodded, “You guys used to be buddy-buddy before. Anyways, it’s time for you to man up and ask Mackenzie out.”

     I paused.

    “Isn’t that kind of awkward though? You’re asking out Caden’s sister.”

    “He doesn’t know yet,” Max made a face, “That’s the only reason I’m coming to you for help.”

    I pretended to look offended, “Only reason? Come on, you know I’m amazing.”

    He laughed and was just about to reply when the door opened. Caden walked in and suddenly stopped, taking in the scene.

    “What’s going on?” he asked suspiciously, noticing that Max and I had just been alone together.

    “He’s getting dating advice from me,” I smirked at him. I motioned for Caden to come sit next to me on the bed.

    “Dating advice?” Caden asked as he sat down and slipped his arm around me. I snuggled up against him, “You’re asking her for dating advice?”

    “She was my only option left,” Max grinned at him.

    “Watch it. Or else I’ll tell Caden who you’re planning to ask out,” I warned him with a satisfied smirk.

    “Ok, ok, you win,” he made a face at me.

    “Who?” Caden wanted to know.

    “It doesn’t matter right now,” I told him, “I have a great prank for the dance tomorrow. I’ll need your nerdy brain to help me.”

    “Oh right, speaking of pranks,” Max shifted in his seat, “I told Mrs. Moore that I was dropping out of the prank war.”

    “Wait, who’s Mrs. Moore?” I asked.

    “The principal,” Caden told me with a funny smile. He turned to Max, “Why are you dropping out?”

    “Wait, I was gonna ask that,” I scowled, “Why are you dropping out?”

    “I heard about your grandma,” Max said, “And really, you should get the million dollars. I would feel guilty if I spent it for myself when I know that you would put it to better use.”

    “That is … so … sweet,” I said and elbowed Caden, “See? Now that’s sweet.”

    “You want me to drop out?” Caden asked, holding up his hands like he was surrendering. Which made no sense at all.

    “No, don’t,” I said, “You need to help me with my prank.”

    “Ok, what do you need me to do?”

    I smiled and told him my plan..