Prank War [26]

“I hate it,” I told Mackenzie as I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

    “You look beautiful!” she insisted. The red dress I was wearing went down to my knees. I twirled around, watching it flow up a bit. I didn’t like dresses – I always felt liked I was naked when I wear them. 

    “I still don’t like it,” I said stubbornly. Mackenzie was wearing a light blue dress with sparkles on it. She looked pretty in it – while I just looked awkward.

    “By the way, do you still not have a date?” I asked her, wanting to know if Max had manned up or not.

    “Actually, I do,” she smiled at me, “Sit down so I can fix your hair.”

    “My hair’s fine,” I shook my head, “Who is it?”

    “Sit down and I’ll tell you.”

    She was good. I sat down in my desk chair and allowed her to do unknown things to my hair.

    “So, who is it?” I pressed for information.

    “Max,” she answered and I smiled.

    “How did he ask you?”

    “Are you always this nosy?” she asked with a smile. She turned the chair around so that I was facing her. Taking a few strands of my hair, she started to braid it.

    “So he was the one you had in mind?” I asked, remembering our conversation yesterday.

    “Yeah,” she was still smiling as she focused on finishing the last braid.

    “I’m happy for you,” I told her.

    There was a knock on the door.

    “Come in,” Mackenzie said, loud enough for them to hear. Caden walked in, wearing a suit. He looked gorgeous, there was no denying it.

    “Hey,” he smiled at me, “Sorry I didn’t get you a corsage. You just don’t seem like the type of girl who would want to wear one.”

    I grinned at him, “You know me too well. I find corsages really awkward.”

    “Hold still,” Mackenzie instructed me, still fixing my hair, “I’m almost done.”

    I held as still as possible, still keeping my eyes on Caden. He sat down on my bed and looked at his sister.

    “Why didn’t you tell me you were going out with Max?”

    “Do I have to tell you everything?” Mackenzie smirked at him as she undid my braid.

    “What are you doing?” I asked her. What was the point of doing a braid and then undoing it?

    “It didn’t look good enough,” she replied to me and studied my hair. She turned me ninety degrees around so that I was facing the wall, my back to her.

    “You could have told me,” he insisted and then paused, “Is Mackenzie who you and Max were talking about yesterday?”

    “Yup,” I answered.

    “Did everyone know about this but me?” Caden asked. Neither Mackenzie or I answered and a few seconds of silence passed. I burst out laughing. I don’t know why, but I always tend to laugh during awkward silences or serious moments.

    “Are you done with my hair yet?” I asked Mackenzie. She had tied my hair up into a bun, then switched to a ponytail.

    “Hold on, almost done,” she said and took out my ponytail, “done!”