Prank War [11]

“How did so many people end up in detention?” I whispered pretty loudly to Mackenzie. She glanced up from her writing and gave me the, ‘be quiet’ gesture.

    “Most people skipped classes to pull pranks on the first day,” she explained, in a quieter voice, “The teachers expect it anyways. They don’t count it on your permanent record.”

    “So is this prank war going to last long?” I asked, forgetting to whisper.

    “No talking,” the teacher told us loudly, giving me a stern look. I gave him an innocent smile, and saw Mackenzie writing something down faster than I’ve ever seen anyone write. When the teacher wasn’t looking, she slipped me a torn piece of paper.

    Just be careful today. By tomorrow, the majority of people would be out. About twenty people should still be in, and that’s when the major pranks come in. The trickiest ones, the ones that need a lot of planning and stuff. But it’ll probably take a week for someone to win, since most people will be too busy studying for the final exams. Like Caden. Do you know what’s up with him? He was acting a little weird last night, when I passed him in the hallway.

    I read her note, and immediately wished she didn’t include Caden in this. I picked up my pen, turned the piece of paper over and wrote a reply.

    I see. Well, I hate planning, even when it’s pranks, so I’ll just depend on my luck. Which I don’t have much of. By the way, do we ever get the chance to get out of this school? Or are we stuck here for the rest of our lives?

    I folded the paper in half and handed it back to her. Hopefully she won’t notice that I didn’t answer her question about Caden.

    She took the paper, unfolded it, and I watched her eyes zoom across, reading what I wrote. She showed no signs of noticing my missing reply, and starting writing again.

    No, we get a break to go to a city nearby every other Saturday. But of course, you have to have an average of ‘B’ in every subject. So do you?

    I bit my lower lip. Great. Why was a freaking ‘B’ so important? I really needed to pull my grades up.

    I was about to start writing my reply when the teacher’s voice interrupted me.

    “No passing of notes is allowed in detention,” he said, “Please hand it to me, Miss Laker.”

    “Wait, how did you find out my real name?”

    “I have a list of all the troublemakers in this classroom,” he stated, “Now please hand the note to me.”

    I hesitated, and then quickly ripped up the piece of paper. The small, torn pieces were resting in my hand, and I walked up to him, sticking my hand out.

    “Here you go.”

    He looked furious, “Don’t push it, Miss Laker.”

    “Well, it’s too late now isn’t it? Will I make it better by saying I’m sorry for acting like myself?”

    The teacher looked like he was ready to explode, and start yelling at me. I stared back, keeping my expression stoical. I was used to it – all teachers shared a mutual feeling towards me.

    “Go back to your desk, and one more word out of you, it’s the principal’s office.”

    I was about to reply something back, but decided not to. If I wanted that stupid ‘B’ average, I should at least start by being a little … good. Just a teeny tiny bit. No more than that.

~♥~

    “I never knew you were such a bad girl,” Max teased as we walked away from detention.

    “I don’t consider myself ‘bad’. Just not so good,” I smiled, “So anyways, that prank we were going to pull?”

    “Right,” he nodded, “I need to stop by my room to get the slime. Want to come? Or just wait for me outside of the gym?”

    “Well since I have no idea where that is, I’ll come.”

    I followed him down the hall, and we stopped in front of an unmarked door – the plate with the number on it was missing. Max reached into his pocket, pulled out his key, and opened the door.

    I stepped inside, to find a rather clean and orderly room. The desk and bed were pushed to one side of the room, while the other side was reserved for a bunch of … stuff, for the lack of a better word.

    “What’s all this?” I asked, gesturing to the .. stuff. There were water balloons, onion gum, and all the practical joke gadgets. I figured it out just as he answered.

    “Oh you know, just some random stuff for the prank war,” he said casually, walking forward to pick up a small bucket full of light blue slime, “Let’s go.”

    We stepped outside to see a bunch of tired looking students rushing to class. The bell rang a second later.

    “I hope you don’t mind risking getting detention again,” Max said as we waited for the hallway to empty.

    “Nah, I’m used to it. Not getting detention would be abnormal.”

    A couple minutes later, we made our way down the hall, with Max carrying that little bucked of slime.

    “So you’re targeting the gym class?” I asked him.

    “Yeah,” he nodded, “There’s someone in there I want to eliminate as soon as possible.”

    “How are we going to get there without people noticing?”

    “There’s this thing called an air vent.”

    So about seven minutes later, we were crawling through the air vent, just like in those cool action movies. Except the space was uncomfortably small.

    “If I get stuck in here, it’s your fault,” I told him.

    “You won’t,” I could imagine him roll his eyes. He was ahead of me, since he knew the way. We were crawling past different classrooms, and I could see the students studying below, through the small cracks.

    “Stop,” Max suddenly ordered me, and I froze, with one hand up. He crawled forward so that he turned around and was facing me.

    He let out a quiet chuckle, “You can put your hand down.”

    I did, and he handed me the small bucket of slime. He carefully removed the air vent frame, and we peeked down to see students in their gym uniform, listening to the teacher explaining something about curl ups. Behind every student was a dark blue matt, probably for the curl ups.

     “Do you know who Caden Stewart is?” Max whispered. My heart jumped when I heard his name.

    “You want me to dump this on him?” I whispered back.

    “He’s my only threat. With him out of the way, I could win this thing.”

    I hesitated, looking down at him. His gaze was set towards the right. Probably looking at a girl prettier than me, I suddenly thought.

    I pushed it out of my mind, and decided to aim the bucket at the girl behind him, who did look prettier than me.

    Slowly, I let the slime drip down. A loud shriek came a second later, and I knew I had hit my target.

    “You were supposed to get Caden,” Max hissed.

    “Sorry,” I gave him a sheepish smile, “I have horrible aim.”

    “Who’s up there?” a hysterical voice shouted, “You are so going to pay for this.”

    I moved my head into view, and I was about to shout something witty when my hand slipped.

   And since I was such a lucky person, I stumbled forward, falling down towards the hard, gym floor.