Prank War [14]

This is dedicated to keiyani for giving me this prank idea(:

By the way, it’s always Ariane’s POV unless it says it’s someone else’s. Just wanted to clear that  up(:

____________________________________________________________

    I walked down the hallway for the millionth time. Fifteen minutes ago, I had finished that life or death test. Now I was supposed to head on to class, but I … didn’t feel like it. 

    Which was probably not going to help my grades if I flunked that test. But I had a prank in mind.

    I looked around for any kind of clock. I spotted one hanging on the wall, all the way up. Stopping in front of it, I looked up and stared at it. How was I going to get all the way up there?

    I wasn’t going to ask Max, since I wasn’t in the mood to die.

    “Where were you?” I heard a voice ask. My heart jumped a little, and for some reason, I had a gut feeling it was Caden. And he sounded pretty pissed, “You were supposed to meet me two hours ago. I’m ditching class, just like you insisted, and that’s something I don’t plan to do again. Are you going to tell me or not?”

    I debated between walking away, since this was none of my business, or just stay in listen. That was an easy choice.

    I moved slowly towards his voice, careful not to make any noise. It wasn’t my fault I was in hearing distance.

    “Chill,” a female voice replied smoothly, “I needed to make call again to make sure I was correct.”

    Who was she? I had a sinking feeling that it was Bree’s voice. What could Caden possibly want from her?

 I was so lost in thought of trying to find a reason why Caden would want to talk to Bree that I didn’t catch what Bree told him.

    There was a slight pause.

    “So Saturday, at the tunnel?” he asked.

    The tunnel? What the heck was that supposed to be?

    “Yeah, she says ‘see you there’,” Bree replied.

    So maybe Caden didn’t like Bree after all. Maybe she was just the messenger.

    I didn’t realize that I had been leaning against a door, and suddenly fell backwards as it clicked open.

    “Whoa!” I shouted in surprise. I knew Caden and Bree would have heard me, and I didn’t want them to catch me eavesdropping. That would be humiliating.

    I quickly stepped inside the room, and closed the door behind me. I tried to lock the door with one hand while trying to find a light switch with the other. My fingers turned the lock and I heard a satisfying ‘click’, assuring me that the door was indeed, locked.

    “Who’s in there?” a voice demanded. I froze in midway of trying to find a light switch. My breathing became quieter and I prayed for them to go away. Fast.

    I heard someone try the doorknob, “It’s locked.”

    "Forget it,” Caden’s voice said, “It might be a prank anyways.”

    A few seconds of silence passed by. I was still frozen to my spot. What room was I in anyways? What if I was actually standing in a prank target?

    Then I heard footsteps walking away. I counted to twenty and reached for the door. I opened it carefully, and peaked out to see an empty hallway. Opening the door wider, I stepped outside and turned around to see what kind of room I had been standing in.

    It was the janitor’s closet, and the first thing I noticed was that there was a ladder leaning against the wall. Perfect.

    I walked in, and wasted twenty seconds trying to decide how I was going to hold it. Finally, I decided to just grab one of its legs and steps. I managed to get it out of the door, and dragged it towards the clock. I stopped and rested for about eight times since I was so out of shape.

    Then I climbed on it and tried to figure out how to change the time. Man, I was such a fail. It was supposed to be a brilliant prank, but I couldn’t even accomplish it.

    I spotted Kristen further down the hallway, and she made a right, turning around the corner and disappearing out of the view.

    I quickly descended down the ladder and ran down the hallway, trying to catch up to her.

    “Kristen!” I yelled once she was within view.

    She turned around and saw me, “Hey.”

    “I was wondering if you knew how to change the time on the wall clocks.”

    “A prank?” she asked with a smile, “Sure. I’ll come with you.”

    When we made our way back to where my ladder was patiently waiting for us, she climbed on and took the clock off from its hook. Then she carefully turned it around, and showed me where two knobs were.

    “Turn this one for the hour hand, and this one for the minute one,” Kristen informed me.

    “Right. I knew that,” I smirked, “Thanks.”

    “No problem,” she replied, hanging the clock back in its spot, “Do you want me to help you with it?”

    “Sure,” I agreed, “That would save me a lot of work. And time.”

    “So do you want them to all have the same different time?” she paused and smiled, “Did that make sense? Or do you want them to have different, mixed up times.”

    “Mixed up would be good,” I replied, “That would be more confusing.”

    “Great. Well, see you later,” she said, and then walked away.