Chapter 19

ZOE POV

“Z….” I felt my shoulder being nudged and peeked up to see Sky hovering over me in his pjs.

“What are you … Oh my word I have to get you ready for ..”

He giggled.

“Its not school..I'm hungry..” he whined and walked out as I heard cartoons blasting from the lounge.

I saw it was just after 8am and remembered today was Thursday and school would be closed for Easter until next week.

“Where’s Grandpa?” I asked as he hopped onto the big chair which was usually occupied by my dad.

He shrugged and I sighed and headed down the hall into the kitchen.

I put on the coffee machine and took some fruit loops from the top cabinet and prepared his breakfast.

“Here you go sweetie” I kissed his forehead and he smiled as I made my way over to my dad’s room.

I knocked gently as I opened and saw his back turned to me as he sat on the edge of his made bed and I walked around.

I saw him holding the framed picture of him and my mom on their wedding day.

“Whats wrong dad?” He shook his head.

I don’t know why I asked such a stupid question, he missed her..

“She loved Easter over the last few years. I think it was because of Sky, the egg hunt in the park, she loved watching him have fun…” he spoke as I saw him staring down at it most likely thinking of all the good memories.

“I know dad..” I whispered and sat next to him as I remembered a different memory of last Easter.

“Mom seriously you need to take it easy” I narrowed my eyes at her and she frowned as I joined her on the bench.

ZoZo I don’t need to be babied .. I have been dealing with this for three years now. I know my limits.”

I ignored her use of her pet name for me since I was five as she had recently began using it again.

“I think you used to know your limits.. I saw how tired you got trying to find the eggs with him. I know you want to experience things with him , his your first grand kid but Sammy has explained to him so you don’t need to feel like..”

“I might not have much time left Zoe I don’t want his last memories of me to be me lying in bed all day.. don’t look like that, you know it. I know it.. the doctor said we had to wait and see if things would clear up and it isn’t , there’s no point in sugar coating it” I heard her stern voice as I tried to prevent my tears from falling.

“I know your childhood memories I tarnished and I don’t want that for that little boy..” she looked away from me and I reached out and grabbed her hand in mine.

“You didn’t mom…”

“I did.. we never had a stable home for most of your life. You didn’t get to play in the park like most kids or go out with your friends because you had to take care of the house …” she shook her head and I hated that she still felt guilty for it.

I never thought any less of my mother for what we had to go through. She was left alone with her little girl, no help from anyone..

I admired her for it, she could have given me up, as I am pretty sure that’s why my biological father wasn’t in the picture but I didn’t know for sure.