Shhh...It's Confidential - Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Cody's mouth dropped open.

"What do you mean I've lost my memory?" he asked, shocked.

"I mean as in you can't remember anything," Phoebe replied softly.

"But I remember you!" Cody stated as he got up.

"I don't know why you know me but it's all right. You'll have to remember everything in time. Right?" Phoebe's voice cracked and tears were blurring her vision.

She quickly wiped them away and looked at Cody. He was....smirking?

"Cody? What's wrong?" Phoebe asked.

Then Cody broke out into laughter. He literally rolled on the floor, laughing.

"You...aaahaha...thought I...had...hahahaha...lost my...memory?" he choked out.

"You were faking?" Phoebe asked with venom in her voice.

Cody didn't reply. He just kept on laughing.

"Oh, get up!" Phoebe ordered as she pulled Cody up and pushed him towards the door.

"Wait! Aren't you coming to school?" he asked with watery eyes.

"I already said no. Besides, I've got a date," Phoebe replied.

"A date? What?" All humor was gone and Cody was serious.

"Yes. Now get out," Phoebe commanded as she pushed him out the door.

"But with who?" he asked.

Phoebe didn't reply. She just shut the door in his face.

"Ash! Who're you going with?" Cody yelled from the other side of the door.

Phoebe just smiled smugly. There was no way she was going to tell him she had a date with Google.

Once she was sure Cody was gone, she walked down the stairs and into the study room. She walked to the computer. She wasn't sure how the computer worked. She stared at it for a while. She looked at the speakers and had an idea. She moved her face to one of the speakers.

"On!" she commanded.

It didn't work. She got frustrated.

"On!" she said again.

Nothing happened. She sighed and looked at the CPU. She brought her face to any random part of the CPU.

"On!" she said again.

Nothing happened.

"Dammit! On!" she said louder and slapped the CPU.

Her fingers pressed the 'On' button and the computer powered up. Phoebe smiled.

"Thought so," she said.

The computer powered and she needed a password to log in. She stared at it for a while. There were three user accounts; 'Maria. J', 'Cody. J' and 'Guest'. She tapped her fingers on the desk.

"What do I do now?" she asked herself loudly.

"You click on 'Guest'," a voice said from the door.

Phoebe turned back and saw Maria. She looked so different. She had bags underneath her eyes and her cheekbones were popping out. She had lost so much weight, not that she needed to. She looked sleep deprived and the red in her cheeks were gone.

Maria walked to Phoebe and set the computer for her. Phoebe was worried.

"Maybe you should take some time off from the hospital," Phoebe suggested out of concern and care.