Chapter 10

Music filled the bar that they were in, alcoholic beverages swirling inside small capsules that melted on the tongue. Caspian popped one into his mouth, Lilith mimicking his move.

"How was your training?" he asked, eyes wandering over the gold tattoos that brought out the darkness of her skin.

Dark lips spread, flashing white teeth, "My master was a rather eccentric. Taught me many things from this world and the realm of the gods."

Caspian raised a brow, impressed, "The realm of the gods? Do tell what goes on this realm."

A strange expression took over her features, as if she knew something he didn't, "Let's just say, something is happening."

"Something?" he murmured, intrigued.

Lilith popped another capsule into her mouth, "Don't you know?"

His brows furrowed, "Do you mean by the two goddesses awakening?"

Lilith leaned closer, her violet eyes glittering with fascination, "Not just that, but haven't you noticed that the two goddesses happen to choose a human host? Which also happens to be the King's chosen?"

Caspian pursed his lips, "It could just be a coincidence."

Lilith leaned back, "You may never know," she gave him a not so subtle wink, "Your queen might be next."

More like consort, he thought, his thoughts once again wandering towards the boy on the island. He needed to go back to his kingdom soon but he couldn't leave the boy alone and the climate where his kingdom was situated was unsuitable for humans habitation.

He could ask the Emerald King to watch over him but he doubt that with the Queen's return Kai would want to spent every breath next to her. Even then, the bond that was halfway formed between Caspian and Marcus, wouldn't allow him to be more than a few paces apart. He needed the Marcus close to him, as well as Marcus needed him.

For now no signs have shown but Caspian was sure that they would manifest themselves soon if they don't complete it. He knew the consequences of an incomplete bond between Onyx mers, and he was afraid of what could happen to Marcus.

The pain, the unbearable thirst that could only be satisfied by the mate, the transformation from a intellectual mer to a beast with no heart. Caspian swallowed, the same thing could happen to him, the King. Then who would rule the Onyx Kingdom?

Tomorrow morning, he thought, I will complete the bond. Yet there was still the problem of Marcus inability to breathe underwater as well as his human experience.

There had to be something that he could do, and for some reason he was sure that the witch knew the answer. Something he would have to wait for until the witch's return.

"Something on your mind, old friend?" a low purr said from before him.

He gave her a slight but rather forceful smile, "Nothing Lilith. Just something that I need to do, but it can wait till tomorrow."

"Good," she said, "Then let's drink in celebration."

"To a welcome back," he said, tilting his head back and letting the alcohol seep down his throat, burning it in the process while warming the rest of his body. Yet, for some strange reason, he could feel a rather cold sensation enveloping his heart.

*****
His body curled up beneath the blanket of clothes, the warmth of the fire barely warming his trembling body.

Marcus could feel the fever burn him from the inside and yet his skin was cold as ice. Tiny whimpers left his dry lips, each one a cry for help.

Suddenly, a sharp pain went through his body, making him writhe in agony, a scream coming from his parched throat. He could feel his bones shift inside him, the skin on his ears ripping and dousing his face with hot blood. Teeth shifted inside his mouth, a set of fangs protruding from his upper lip and sinking into the dry flesh of his lower one. Just as he thought the pain was long over, searing pains rolled over his back, making him feel as if he was being given forty lashes.

Marcus was sure his cries could be heard throughout the island but even then, no one came to his aid. His vision changed, turning into a blurry red before he fainted from the pain.

*****
He needed to do this and fast. His Master's anger would definitely reach the tipping point if he didn't complete his mission soon.

Something he definitely didn't want to happen, especially if that god had something he needed.

Elric rushed from one shadow to another, his slender form blending with the darkness. He could hear the voices from the room that was not too far up ahead. One voice already murmuring the ancient lines of the Diamond Ritual.

From this stone, let the light disperse....

Elric clenched his teeth, the sharp points digging into his gums. With a silent and steady pace he made his way to where the voices could be heard. He peeked into the room, the pale but tattooed back exposed to him, seaweed floating about the witch's hair.

"Morgan," he growled, hatred seeping through his bones. The witch was ruining everything by awakening the ancient gods. Anymore and he was sure the ocean would plunge into disaster, just like thousands of years ago. The Fight of Gods. The one that plunged the surface world beneath the ocean.

If only they accepted that Poseidon was the true god of the ocean. The one to rule the mers, he thought, The one to make the ocean more powerful than anything.

Slowly he pulled out a tiny vial from his sack, poisonous liquid swirling within. He had made the concoction with their immediate deaths in mind, a few drops of this into the room, and the oxygen would no longer be provided. He clenched the vial and neared the door, ready to close it once he deposited the small drops into it.

Just as he was about to remove the lid, the sharp point of a blade poked the skin between his shoulder blades, "Freeze."

Ooo! What do you think will happen next? ;3

Vote and Comment!