Chapter 54- Alive

Chapter 54- Alive

Kensi's POV

I heard his voice first. He sounded happy. A smile spread across my face, and I ran out from the tech center to the landing on the stairs. I could see the three men, Deeks walking backwards so he was facing Sam and Callen. He couldn't see me, but Sam and Callen could. They froze, their faces grew pale. I wanted to say something, anything, but nothing would come out of my mouth. Deeks turned around and his reaction was similar to those of the others, but I saw something more than shock. His entire expression was pained, but at the same time joyful. It was like every emotion he has been bottling in for the past three months has been released in one look. 

The water in his hands slipped and clattered to the floor. 

"Oh my god, that's..." Sam whimpered.

"Kensi." Deeks smiled, and stepped forward. I rushed down the stairs and stopped a few feet from my team. 

"I-You were dead." Deeks cried, while lying a hand on my cheek softly. The way he was gently caressing my skin made me want to just collapse into his arms. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't have a choice. They we're-" My body crashed against his as he held me tightly. I breathed in the musky scent of his sweatshirt and melted. God, I've missed him so damn much. 

*^*

The car ride was more of a roller coaster than an early morning drive through the dawn streaked silence of Los Angeles.

After our big group hug with everyone, Hetty came downstairs and discovered her emotionally wrecked team sobbing in the middle of the bullpen at 4am. Of course she sent us all home at once. Since I was technically dead for three months, my landlord rented out my apartment to a new tenant. That's why I was moving in with Deeks.

"What do you mean you're gonna find another place?" He wailed, staring at me oddly. 

"I know you said I could move in, but I need my own place too, Deeks." 

"Kensi, that doesn't make any sense. Before you were homeless, you basically lived at my apartment anyways." 

"Why can't you just respect that I need some space sometimes? God, it's like you don't even know me." I blurted out. 

Did that really just come out of my mouth? Wow, being alone for three months has made me really emotional. 

Deeks' eyes grew wide, and he pulled over to the side of the empty road. 

"You have got to be kidding me." I groaned.

"Kensi, you know what, you're right. I don't know you anymore."

"What?" His eyes met mine for a second, but the he turned away.

"I thought you were six feet under. I watched them bury you. I even spoke at your funeral. I killed for you, Kens."

"Wait, what? You killed for me?" I interrupted, stunned.

He looked at me with a faraway look, but then a smirk upturned the corners of his mouth. "No, I just thought that sounded really dramatic." He bit his lip and a small laugh escaped my lips. 

"Wow so much for a heartfelt speech about thinking I was dead. Nice job, Deeks." 

"Well, what can I say, Fern. It's hard to be serious when you're actually sitting right there. For real." He smiled.

He leaned over the median between us and pressed his lips to mine. The fireworks that had dominated me months ago were even more explosive now. My hands reached up and played with the blonde mob of hair that felt like it had before I was shot in that bar. Everything just felt together again. The tingling touch of his calloused fingertips along the bare flesh of my arm. The way his lips fit perfectly into mine. The longing to never let go again let in, but the screaming from our breathless lungs won that battle. I pulled away first and looked at him deeply. Neither of us spoke. We just stared into each other's eyes, not sure what to do next.