Chapter 32- Grief

Chapter 32- Grief

Deeks' POV

"I'm so sorry." I whispered to Kensi as she leaned into me. I could feel her holding in her tears and emotions, trying to stay strong. I didn't know how she was even still functioning. 

(1 hour earlier) 

Kensi walked out of Ops with Nate, and the rest of us began to go down to bullpen.

"Wait, you all are not done." Hetty said, blocking the path to the door.

"I thought there was no case?" Sam questioned.

"Ms. Blye cannot know about this case because it may compromise her judgement. So, Mr. Deeks, please do not say anything about this until she gets to the crime scene, understood?"

"Yes, Hetty." I said, wondering what the mysterious case could be.

"Nell..." Hetty motioned to her and she began her briefing.

"A Marine was found murdered in an alley this morning by a janitor taking out the trash. LAPD identified him as Jack Catell. He was assigned to Fallujah and enforced curfew."

My head shot up immediately recognising the story. This wasn't just any Marine. This was the man my partner was engaged to years earlier. He was the one that broke her heart on Christmas after he walked out. A picture shot up on the screen, and sure enough, it was the same Jack from the photographs I saw at Kensi's house.

"That's Kensi's ex-fiancee, Jack." I sighed.

"Unfortunately yes, Mr. Deeks. It is."

"What?!" Sam and Callen said in unison.

"Lance Corporal Jack Catell was discharged from the Marines after he got PTSD. He was sent back to Los Angeles and given treatment for his sickness. Catell went off the grid for about fourteen months on Christmas Day. In 2007, he resurfaced with a new identity: John Caskade. He married Christina Levy in the winter of '07, and now has three kids, Jacklyn, Mackenzie, and Brett." Nell said uncomfortably.

"He named his girls Jacklyn and Mackenzie, like Jack and Kensi? Wow this guy was... something." Callen pursed his lips tightly together, obviously pretty pissed off.

"Who would want to kill him, though?" I said, trying to keep a steady head.

"That's what you have to figure out, Mr. Deeks. Now go on. LAPD is waiting at the scene." Hetty said as she left.

"GPS location is on your smartphones." Eric nodded.

We all walked slowly out of the room.

"Um, G and I will go check out the scene. Grab Kensi when she's out of her evaluation and take her over." Sam said.

"No. Kensi can't come to the crime scene. She's been through too much to have this." Callen shook his head.

"Seriously? Kens can handle this. It's not like we can just keep it from her, Callen. That isn't fair."

"I just don't want her to get hurt. Why would you of all people not agree with me?"

"Because Jack walked out on her and left her with no answers. Now we could possibly find out what happened and tell her why. She can have closure."

"Or instead of having closure, the sight of her dead ex-fiancee will push her over the edge and we could lose Kensi for good. Listen to me, Deeks. Don't bring her to the crime scene. It isn't safe." They turned and walked out.

Callen's words hit me hard. Considering the amount of stress she's under, he could be right. I sat down outside Nate's office and ran my fingers through my hair. Kensi needs to know about Jack. I suddenly got up and opened the door. Kensi was seated on the couch wiping tears from her eyes and Nate gazed at me with an annoyed look.