Chapter 47- Cheating

Chapter 47- Identified

Kensi's POV

I looked across the interriogation table at the small man. He looked nervous, and from the voilent trembling of his entire body, he was scared.

"What's your name?" I asked softly.

"M-Martin H-H-Halbert." He studdered. "W-Why am I here, I didn't do anything! I c-can't go to jail, guys like me don't l-last very long. I've seen those prison shows, and I-I'll get mauled in those group showers. You know they don't have stalls or anything, right? Not even a flimsey curtain..."

"You won't go to prison if you just tell me where you got that cell phone."

He glanced down at the bagged phone. 

"That's my phone! I've had it for almost two y-years. I don't understand why those police officers tackled me while on my morning jog." Martin pleaded. 

"Okay then, tell me what happened from when you woke up this morning to when you went running." I sighed. This guy was too nervous and small to overpower and drown Marines and grown, but maybe he saw something.

"Well I woke up at 5:30, had a Powerbar, let out my dog, then I got dressed to go jogging. I jogged for maybe thirty minutes when these two police officers suddenly tackled me from behind and cuffed me. I didn't even have time to take out earbuds before they shoved me into their squad car. Isn't that police brutality? I think I'll sue. You're a fed, you know any good lawyers?"

"Okay, slow down. That's it? Any other people that stood out to you, maybe someone bumped into you?" I asked.

"Oh yeah, I had my cell phone in my pocket, and it must have dropped out because this guy stopped me and handed it back. Is being nice a crime now or something?"

"Did you check to make sure it was your's?" That must be what happened. The killer pickpocketed him and switched the phones.

"Well it had my blue Otterbox case, so I just assumed..." Martin's eyes got very big, and his mouth dropped open. "Oh my god, that isn't my phone? W-whose is it then? Where's my phone now? I h-have important numbers and contacts that are only on that phone. Oh my God my boss is gonna kill me, he is literally gonna shoot me, in the head. I'm so dead, can I get protection from my boss, his name is Gilbert Han-" 

"Okay, just shut up. I'll be back in a bit, just hang tight." I groaned.

"Am I going to jail?" 

"If your story doesn't hold up." 

I walked out to see Deeks smiling humorously.

"That looked fun." He laughed.

"Oh my god this guy is worse than that annoying asset that we shot in the leg so I could get with Steven King. He kinda reminds me of you too." 

"Wow, ha ha ha, Kens. I'm flattered though, really. You're thinking of me." He said sarcastically.

"Only because I care." I shot back with a sly smile.

 Callen and Sam were the next to enter the boat shed. They both looked pretty worn down, epically Sam. His eyes were red and shot from crying.

"Hey guys, did the wife know anything?" I said gently.

"Sandra said everyone loved Paul, he had no enemies, no problems at work, nothing. But, she thought he was at his sister's house to help her move in the new house. We called his sister, Janie, and she hasn't seen or heard from Paul in over a year." Callen explained, glancing at Sam every so often.