Chapter 26- New

Chapter 26- New

Deeks' POV

It has been exactly four weeks, two days, seven hours, and thirty-one minutes since Kensi went undercover. I have resorted to listening to old voicemails from her just to hear her voice. A year without her is going to be way too long for me to handle.

On top of my rising insanity, Riley has been nothing short of a pain in my ass this whole time. She is the type of girl that always has to have eyes on here; the center of attention. I am yet to see the day that Riley doesn't mope until someone asks her what the problem is, only to find themselves trapped in an hour long conversation about cramps. My trick for staying out of her vortex is just walking away after a few minutes. It's rude, but she doesn't like talking to me anymore, which is good. 

*Whistle*

"We have a case!" Yelled Eric from upstairs. 

"Oh well, we can continue our conversation in the car." Riley smiled at me. Conversation? She was talking to me this whole time?

"Mr. Deeks. A word?" Hetty called as I turned the corner to go upstairs.

"Now? Don't I have to be briefed for the case?" I asked cautiously.

"I will brief you after we finish our little chat, now sit." 

I glanced back at Callen and Sam who were watching from the landing. They both had smug smirks across their faces. 

"Is something wrong?" 

"Not exactly. I just wanted to talk to you about your recent partner change." Hetty sipped from her teacup as she stared straight into my eyes. It felt like she could see right down into my soul and read my inner thoughts.

"Oh, Riley? She's, uh, nice."

"But?" 

"But...?"

"She's not Kensi, is she." 

"Well, no." 

Hetty sighed and folded her hands on top of the desk.

"You have to accept the fact that undercover agents sometimes have to go away for awhile. Temporary agents are still part of the team, whether you like it or not. Just because you and Kensi are very... close... doesn't mean you can be cold towards her replacement."

"I know, I just miss her." 

"We all do, Mr. Deeks, but Ms. Filade is just here to help. Befriend her, make her feel welcome. Maybe show her around LA."

"Okay." I nodded.

"Good. Now if you hurry, you can make the end of the briefing." 

*^*^*^*

The case was short and easy. Two days, and the culprit forging military ID's was taken into custody. He cracked as soon as Sam walked in the interrogation room door. Since we had the rest of the day off, I deceided to take some of Hetty's advice and hang out with Riley.

"Thanks for asking me out, Marty. It's really hard to make friends here."

"That's LA!" I chuckled.

"Yeah... So, where are we going?" Riley asked.

"Just a pretty cool bar I like to go to sometimes." 

"Oh okay." She sighed. 

"What? You don't like bars?" 

"Well a bar is a bar, Marty! We have a million bars in St. Louis that are probably exactly the same."

"So where do you want to go?" I groaned. Why does she have to be so high maintainence?