Violette: Karma, 1997, Japan

Violette

Karma

1997, Japan

"Do you ever want to jump off a building?"

"What?"

"I said, do you ever want to just jump off a building?"

I looked over at the girl before me, sitting next to me on the roof of our school. Her hair was short, to her chin, but in a style for a man. She wore a typical sailor type of school uniform. Her glasses were thin. Maybe she didn't really need them. Maybe she thought they made her look academic.

"Are you even listening to me?"

This girl was Masako Hongo. Otherwise known as Masa. And the Masa I had come to know these past few months was beyond belief. 

She laughed condescendingly and went back to eating her sandwich like nothing had happened. But something had.

Do you ever want to jump off a building? 

I bet you do, I thought to myself as I ate my own sandwich. It was made of fruit, cream, and white bread with the edges cut off. I had no idea what type of sandwich Masa was eating. I never did. There were reasons why Masa was so secretive.

Later on that day, I was at Masa's house. Her parents weren't home yet, and it was just us. Her dog was in the room with us. Masa told me her dog was unusually calm whenever I was around. I knew why. Animals have a strange connection to demons, and seem to go docile around us. But I would never tell Masa this.

Now for my plan of attack. When I had first met Masa, I acted submissive. She seemed to want submissive people around her. She was always so dominant acting, but not in a protective sort of way. She never took anyone's shit, and that is what I liked about her. But I knew there was something lurking beneath. Something dark. Something which needed to be uncovered. That was why I was here.

We were doing our homework. I was just bullshitting as usual. Masa was more serious. One would think that a girl who wanted to commit suicide wouldn't care about schoolwork. Not the case. This was an indicator to me how she didn't really want to commit suicide. But did she think she had a choice? This was what I wanted to find out. Figure out the problem before the solution came crashing as the conclusion.

However, I had an inkling as to the reason for her dissatisfaction for life. This would be my attack. A gentle attack if there ever was one.

My eyes peered over at Masa slowly. She was looking down at her math textbook, breathing hard in her concentration. Her large dark brown eyes were scanning the page slowly, reading the word problem over again for god knows what number of times. She never was very good at math. Her cheeks had a slight pink blush due to stress. Her hair was in her face, for she was too deep in concentration.

Here was the moment. 

With precision, my small hand cupped her chin, turned her face quickly, and pulled her slightly forward into the deep kiss. My warm lips pressed against her's for just a moment. But a moment was all it took.