Beau: Cupcakes, 2000, Japan

Beau

Cupcakes

2000, Japan

Frilly apron. Pink heart clip in blonde hair. Pink plaid oven mitts. A dozen vanilla cupcakes with white frosting and rainbow polka dot twirled frosting. Warm cake. Warm Saya.

Is it not paradise?

Laying in the bed covered in white blankets, being fed bits of cupcake by this gorgeous black haired man. Him criticizing my new hair color. Him saying I've changed, but for the better. Is it not heaven? 

I dab a tiny bit of white frosting on his cute nose, a few rainbow polka dots stuck in the frosting. He laughs and my heart sighs in pleasure. Wanting more of this laugh, I put a tiny bit of frosting on my tongue and lick his pink-brown nipple with it. Instead of a laugh, I get a moan. A delicious present. 

With a delighted kitten sound, I lay my head on his chest and wrap my arms around him, grinning from ear to ear. I hear him making little "ptui ptui" sounds as my sunflower yellow curls get in his mouth. I hear his bass heart beat. I hear his happiness swelling.

This is what we have worked for. For centuries, through trouble and addiction, we have worked. We were not always together, we strayed apart, with misunderstanding and mistrust. But now we are no longer red. We no longer desire red with all of our hearts. We desire rainbow sprinkles. We desire yellow cake and passionate sighs only from eachother. 

Thump, thump, thump, I hear his heart.

"Doki, doki, doki, your heart is speaking to me the words of love," he whispers to me in his native tongue. 

"It speaks the truth," I whisper back, looking into his face full of love, "it loves you very very much."

I could fall into heaven like this. Will live forever like this. Smelling the sweet fragrance of desserts, the linen and goose down of the blankets. The fresh lilac in the vases. 

I open my mouth to ask when he has put lilac in the vases, and look up to see them.

My eyes go wide.

There are no vases. But the smell. The smell. And then I remember.

"Saya, sweet, we have to go. We have to go. Now!" I get up and wrap one of the blankets around me in haste, gesturing quickly for him to do the same. The smell of the lilac is quickly filling my nose, getting closer. 

"Whyy?" He whines cutely, rolling over with a pout.

"Do you not smell it?" I stare at him with wide eyes.

"Smell what? I only smell you."

What?

It can't be.