Violette: A Blossom Opens, Year Unknown, Japan

Violette

A Blossom Opens

Year Unknown, Japan

I love demons. I don't know why. Something about them fascinates me. My parents told me that having such a fascination at my age is not acceptable. I am fourteen, almost fifteen. Almost a woman. 

I sat in my room on a particularly rainy night. Staring out at the strange looking clouds. They didn't look like rain clouds, they were like ocean waves. I dreamed about perhaps maidens were swimming in those clouds, laughing and free. Not having to worry about being proper or anything at all. 

That was when I saw it. A figure illuminated from the back by the large moon, swimming in the clouds, just as I had imagined the maidens doing so. 

I stood up and stared, but I didn't see the figure again. Was it a maiden? What was it? I opened my window and crawled outside, dropping into the garden below, careful not to crunch the rocks as I went. Everyone would kill me if they saw me out like this, in my bed clothes, looking indecent for anyone to see. 'A young girl,' they'd say disappointedly, 'who would want to marry her when she's doing such things?' This is what I'd often hear all day and all night in my dreams. 

I don't know if it was these thoughts that drew me towards the patch of clouds where I had seen the figure or something else. As I walked closer and closer, my sad feelings seemed to wash away. They seemed to be leaving my body, and feeling of relief was spreading from my heart to my toes, to my fingertips, to the top of my head. The feeling told me I would never have to deal with sad things again. That I would never have to go back to my home. 

But then a voice was calling my name from the other direction. A panicked, angry, unwelcomed voice.

"Come back! Come baack!"

I was scooped up by strong arms and whipped around in the other direction. It was my father. He yelled at me and once home, slapped me as hard as he could. 

"If you want to run away, I will put iron attached to your feet!!" he yelled in furious rage. 

I said nothing and cast my eyes downwards. "At least you can be silent now!" he spat in my face. 

The very next day, I learned why it was so important for me to stay. I had been engaged to one of my father's government friends. A fat, pig-like, grotesque human being who could barely keep his robes from popping away, as if his robes were so disgusted they wanted nothing to do with him either. 

At our supper with him, all I could think about was that amazing feeling of last night. The warm, loved feeling of when I was walking towards the clouds. The joyous, growing feeling of bliss which had relaxed my entire body. The feeling of never having to deal with all of this, and this added element of the pig-like man. The thoughts drifted to the beautiful figure I had seen come out of the clouds and dive back in. How free and content it had seemed. 

"I'm talking to you!" my father yelled, snapping me back to reality. My head looked up at him so fast, and then my eyes opened wider than they ever had in my life. 

A beautiful woman was standing behind my father, but he seemed unaware of her presence. Dressed in shimmering, long silk robes which looked like the very water had been woven into them; impossibly black hair to the floor, but dressed with pearls so white they glowed, a silver many looped crown on her forehead extending into her elaborate headpiece. Her skin shone like the moon, and her almond eyes were a shade of impossible green.

She smiled at me with blood red lips and I knew what I had to do. 

I stood up at the table as calm as could be. My father got spitting mad at this and matched me in rising. I didn't hear his words. I would never have to hear his words again. I walked out of the room and found what I was searching for in the barn out back. 

I felt my father in the barn, I don't know how. I turned around in the pure darkness and jammed the threshing scythe into him as hard as I could, crying out in the effort. Over and over, swiping and gashing and cutting until he was no longer screaming. I looked up and could see two perfect, green, glowing, slightly upturned eyes in contented pleasure. They disappeared and I could hear gentle sucking sounds for a long time. 

They reappeared and I felt a warm hand take mine own and the blissful feeling radiated from the demon's grasp. The blissful feeling which told me where my home was.