Josephine: Daily, 1812, England

Josephine

Daily

1812, England

With a breath, I awake and feel the soft yet firm body of my love beside me. He is not supposed to be here still, so I rouse him gently and he gives a moan of wakefulness. But in a snap he is awake and with a kiss he leaves me. I jump out of bed myself and put on an empire waisted dress of light pink and yellow.

On to breakfast. Platters of ham, toast with jellies and jam, different fruits vast, many delicious and tempting things. My lover smiles at me mischeviously across the table even though his father is at the top. I give him a look which tells him to stop but I can not hide how I like his peering.

Our bellies full, we take our customary walk after breakfast. He and I are hand in hand, for no one can see us out here in the countryside. He sneaks a kiss, and I look around ever cautious. He takes my chin firmly and gets me to kiss him full on. I melt and lose myself.

Mid-morning, we go to our individual lessons. It is boring without him, and I wish I were six years older so I could join him. But there is hope, for come noon there is our music lesson. Here I sing the likes of Bach and Handel, and he plays piano to accompany. Our music teacher is not pleased because we are not focused. But how can I be focused when I see my lover's sweet face looking at me so full of enchantment, peering at me over the top of the piano?

With the coming of tea and biscuits it is 4 o' clock, and the end of our lessons for the day. He and I take tea in my room, surrounded by dolls and lace. He sets up a few of my dolls with us, an impromptu tea party. I giggle as he offers them each tea and biscuit. He does it just to get me to laugh, that sneaky boy. But oh how I love him.

With his father home, we eat dinner together as a family at seven sharp. He ignores us basically, and doesn't see his son walking potatoes across the table like little feet on two forks. I try not to laugh, as it is not proper and I barely make it. 

Finally at nine, it is my favorite part of the day. Alone with my love, he reads a poem he wrote today and hugs me as we sit up in my bed. His voice is elegant and kind. He gives me a kiss on the head and promises to be back later.

Sometime in the night, he wakes me and slips into my bed silently. He just hugs me from behind, a sweet spoon. This way, we fall asleep together, as every night.