Chapter Eighteen - For Now You Pick Only One

Tobias

I'm sat in bed. Too fatigued to move. Tris just left me. I don't understand why, one minute I'm talking to Christina about her new puppy and the next Tris is screaming her head off at me. I don't understand. Is it her period? Did I do something wrong? What did you do Four, what did you do?

I think back. I walk down the corridor with Tris, not holding hands. I remember. Then Christina calls me over from behind me, I ask for Tris' permission before I went to talk to her. Christina talks about her puppy, then a sharp pain in my stomach. She ends the conversation, turns around and I walk back to Tris. Her eyes were glazed over and I could almost see her shatter right then. She yells at me, tells me I'm dead to her, goes home, packs up then leaves.

She.

Left.

Me.

Tris

I'm sat on Mathews couch. Head in my hands, thinking. I don't understand. Four would never do such a thing. He would never kiss another girl, he would never. Yet, he did.

Confused, hurt, betrayed. All emotions that I feel right now. It just makes no sense. I thought he loved me. I guess not. I don't need him. I don't want him.

"Mathew?" I say. He hums in response.

"Can I stay here for a bit?" I ask. He just nods. He's at his computer desk at the moment. He's cute, I'll give him that. Not like Four though. I sigh. I don't know what to do anymore. I just want it to be the same as it was 6 months ago. Everyone was happy. I miss it.

I would much rather be sitting by the Chasm at the moment. Watching the rapid waves. That would be nice. I close my eyes then. I let sleep take me but quickly after my eyes close horrid images of a dead Four lay before me.

"Choose." She says. I don't know who. I look in front of me. Four and Christina lay there. I choose between love and friendship.

"Can't I pick both?" The lady shakes her head.

"Not yet. For now, you pick only one." I wake up heaving and sweating. Not the worst dream.

This wouldn't of happened if Four were here.

Very short chapter. Sorry, I'm sick at the moment and had to take a day off school. :( The sad thing is it's only the second week of term 1. Sorry for the short chapter guys. My brain isn't functioning properly.

Be brave.