Chapter Thirty Five (Finale) -

Song for this chapter: Scars - Tove Lo

Tobias

I'm not scared, not at all. I know I'm going to make it out of this alive, it's just what happens. What always happens.

"Okay Tobias, we're just going to put this small mask on you. It's going to go over your nose and mouth and rest on your chin, okay?"

I give them a small nod and on goes the mask. A few deep breaths later everyone starts to turn into a blur and then finally disappear. The last face I see is a smiling Tris painted on the back of my eyelids, I smile with her. I will always smile with her.

"Okay, he's almost g-"

Black.

Tris

He's going to be fine, I fully trust the staff here and I know that they're going to take care of him. They won't let anything happen to him.

It's going to be alright.

It is going to be okay.

He is going to make it, Tris.

He always does.

It's always him, he's always the one getting hurt, honestly, I don't think it's fair. It should be me, that should be me. I should be hurting, I should be scared, I should be worried. It should be me.

It should be me

It should, be me.

Third person

The medical personnel are working on Tobias, so focused that they didn't notice the distant beep of the heart monitor slowing it's pace. The once lively yet grumpy Tobias that stood only minutes before is now dying, slowly but surely. His personality and soul dying with him on this hospital bed.

They didn't think of themselves as just 'boyfriend and girlfriend' they thought of themselves as more than that, so much more. Their friends found that understandable because of the horror after horror they encountered together. They never left each others side, not until a few weeks ago.

It's only now, mere minutes after Tobias heart stops and the beep of the monitor is gone that they realise. They take their gloves off slowly, they stop the work on his head slowly, everything is done slowly.

Heads are hung low as the grief of losing a patient overtakes them. He was different though, he was special, they took care of him once before. When he tried to take his life, but now, his life has been taken unwillingly. He didn't want this, she didn't want this, they didn't want this.

Tris sits in the other room, scared and unaware of the passing of her boyfriend, her soulmate.

"Nine fifty two." One of the surgeons say in a gentle whisper. The voice echoes around the room eerily. A sense of grief, pain and mourning is floating about in the air. It's heavy and stuffy and makes it hard to breathe.

Tris screams and cries when she's told. She didn't expect that. Clawing, shouting, screaming, grabbing, weakness.

"Tobias! Wake up! You promised!" She screams her voice cracking because of the sadness in her. "You promised." She says sounding defeated now.

She cries.

And she screams.

And she prays.

And she wishes.

And she's disappointed, over and over again.

People should never go through so much death as she did. Yet, she has always come through, she's strong and resilient. Tobias is proud of her, Natalie is proud of her, Andrew is proud of her, Tori is proud of her.

Tris is proud of her.