Chapter Eight - You're Back

Tris

I can hear Caleb's muffled voice behind me. I can't hear much, he's either talking to someone or talking to himself.

I loud screech waked my brain up from its daze.

I am pulled out of the chamber and a warm breeze brushes over my exposed skin. He'll be doing more of his experiments. More serums, more C.P.R's, more tears, more tantrums, more guilt.

Caleb picks me up and lays me down on the cool, metal surface. I've started to get more feeling back. When he injects serums into me, I can feel the jab, not just the rushing fluid. When he accidentally knocks me on my shin, I can feel the pain, I can feel it. I've never loved pain so much.

"Okay, Beatrice. I think I've got it this time." Caleb says excitedly. He always says that. Every time he takes me out of the chamber, the first thing that comes out of his mouth are those exact words. I mentally prepare myself. My name is Beatrice Prior, I was born in Abnegation, I am Divergent, I switched to Dauntless, I met Four, I killed Will, my Mom and Dad are dead, I am dead.

Caleb injects the serum into my neck and the sharp pain gives me shivers down my spine. I know it won't work, it never does. I just lay there, helpless... Dead.

"Beatrice, I know you're in there, I know you can hear me. You have to believe it'll work or it won't." He sighs.

"Let's try again. This time you have to believe." I can hear him pick up the syringe and plunge the needle deep into my neck. This time, I believe.

Can I be forgiven for all I've done to get here?

I can.

I will.

I believe it.

I want to live, I want to live, I want to live. I want to see Four, I want to see my friends, I want to be alive, I believe I can wake up.

Slowly, I pry my eyes open. The bright lights are messing with my vision. I've opened my eyes, for the first time in months. Adrenaline courses through my veins. Quickly, I turn my head around and look Caleb straight in the eye. He has tears brewing in his eyes but he blinks them away. My jaw drops. I'm alive. I am alive because of him, my brother saved me. The one I selflessly risked my life for, saved me. The one that sent me to my execution, saved me.

I try to stand up and give him a hug but me knees fail me and I fall to the ground in a small heap of flesh and bones. I see Caleb's hand reach out for mine, he pulls me up and embraces me. I smile for the first time in two months. Caleb whispers in my ear.

"I'm glad you're back." I pull away from this embrace with a small smile that quickly turns into a frown. I need to know what has happened, what I've missed out on.

"Tell me what has happened, everything."