Chapter Five - Funeral

Tobias

I glance down at my watch. 1:40 p.m. Tris' funeral starts in twenty minutes. I don't know why I'm so nervous. It's not like she's ever going to know what I said anyway. Breathe Tobias, breathe.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Quickly, I wipe my sweaty hands on my black jeans, stare at the door and start an argument with myself.

If I walk out now I'll see all of my friends.

But you won't talk to them.

Well maybe this time I will.

You won't.

I will.

You won't.

I'm going anyway.

I force my hand to the doorknob and turn it.

"Hey Four, I was wondering what was taking you so long." Amar says grinning. I try to smile at him but decide against it.

"Just finishing up the rest of my speech." I lie.

"Are you ready for this?" Christina asks. I really have to think hard about this one.

"No. But then I don't think I really can be." I say with a small smile.

"Okay, let's go." Says Amar. I take a deep breath.

The reception isn't very nice at all. I mean, it's not what she deserves. Tris deserves flowers and ribbons and family and friends. Not just a few dingy seats filled with people she never met. I guess it'll have to do.

"Four, they want you to go up." Christina whispers.

"Now?!" I ask.

"Yes now you pansycake." Immediately after the words exit Christina's mouth she stands there for a moment with her eyes wide open and her mouth the same.

"Dear lord, Jesus and the Virgin Mary, I'm turning into Uriah." I chuckle ever so slightly. Tris is the only one that could ever make me actually laugh. I take a deep, deep breath.

Up we go Tobias,

On to the stairs and onto the stage.

I stand in front of the microphone.

"Ahem." I try to get people's attention but everyone just goes about their business. Clearly unaware of my existence.

"HEY! I'm trying to speak here." Instantly everyone's heads snap towards me. Some even place there wine glasses back on the table. I adjust my already perfectly adjusted shirt and start to speak.

"So as you probably know, well I hope you know, that this is Tris Prior's funeral. Some close friends of hers want to say a few words."

A/N

Super short chapter, sorry!