Chapter Twenty-Three: What happened?

Eliora stares at the page. So many questions run through her mind, 'There's a third brother?' 'What does it mean when the other brother says 'I give you my eternal soul'?' 'What is the Eligit?' A deep breath fills her lungs as she contemplates the whole situation. 'Well, he called the 'Eligit' a she. Could he possibly mean that I'm the Eligit? The Eligit sure does sound important... He also talked about the Eligit's vessel... I don't have a vessel... Maybe he's talking about that other Eliora. In that case, I would be her vessel... I am NO one's vessel, that's for sure.' Eliora huffs, folding the paper and putting it in her bra.

She looks over at the decoration noticing a beautiful mirror. She goes up to it and stares into it, seeing no reflection. A gasp escapes her lips as she inspects the intricate mirror. 'How come I saw my reflection in the mirror in the hospital, but can't see it in this one...?' Her hand elevates to touch the empty mirror. There's a knock on the door, but the person doesn't wait to come in.

"Eliora?" Blayne's voice echoes in the room. "What are you doing?"

Eliora's eyes catch Blayne put something away in his labcoat as she turns around, "Why can't I see my reflection?"

"A mirror is the reflection of the soul. Vampires have no soul, you see? So that must mean no reflection," Blayne explains in a tone reminiscent to that of a tone of one who is teaching an idiot.

Eliora breaks her gaze from Blayne and looks at the mirror, "But then why did I see my reflection at my awakening?"

"Oh! That's because I made a new invention. Instead of a mirror, the camera-mirror takes in what stands in what stands before it and presents that image to the viewer. Your camera-mirror is in the bathroom. Isn't that a marvelous invention for vampires?" Blayne says excitedly.

"So why are you in here?" Eliora asks.

Blayne inspects the room and his eyes rest on Vincent, "I came to make sure the human is okay. I heard you turned him into your slave, is that right?"

"Yes. I couldn't force myself to feed," Eliora's eyes stray from Blayne and onto Vincent.

"That's fascinating that you could hold such restraint!" Blayne marvels. He rambles on about how no fledgeling had ever refused a meal.

Eliora's feet shift weight back and forth as she watches Blayne uncomfortably, "I also have another question..." Blayne snaps out of his infatuation with her restraint and then becomes serious, "Who's... Damien?"

"How do you know about-" Blayne catches himself panicked then recomposes his emotions, "Damien is a brother of mine. He is no longer with us. May I ask how you fell upon that name?"

Eliora's eyes narrow in suspicion, "Someone said his name in a conversation. I suppose I was just curious."

"A reasonable curiosity, just know, curiosity killed the cat," Blayne states nonchalantly and then walks out of the room.

'What was that about?' she thinks, interlacing her fingertips in the talaces of the curtains. Her other hand's fingertips glide over the velvet fabric, taking it all in. The loveliness of the room overwhelms her as she scans the intricate designs.