Chapter Eleven: An Unwanted Memory

"That's what I had to tell you," Josh mumbles.

Eliora slaps him and gets out through gritted teeth, "What. The. Complete. Fuck?!"

Blayne gasps on the side, "Sire! Are you okay?!"

Josh's shock turns into complete laughter, "I guess I deserved that for not telling you anything."

"You're bullshitting me," Eliora stands up.

"No I'm not. I am actually the Prince of all vampires. Vampires have a system," Josh allows Eliora to calm down as she paces in the room, soaking it in.

Eliora studies his guarded face, "That doesn't make any sense. Explain, now."

Blayne waves his hand, reminding them he's in the room as well, "I'm sorry to interrupt, but, Prince, I thought you said you would visit her at three. It's only one o'clock."

"I was only down the hall. By the way, thank you for keeping my cover secret until now. I kind of wished I could have told her myself, but this is okay as well," Blayne whispers apologies, "I must ask for a little privacy with Miss Eliora." Josh finishes politely. Blayne bows and leaves the room.

"Please explain it all," Eliora crosses her arms over her chest.

Josh takes a deep breath, "Ten years ago, a revolt occurred in the vampire community against my parents, the queen and king. That revolt was against staying in the shadows, or keeping out of sight. We would only be able to take blood from slaves or willing people, never allowed to kill someone. To prove their point it is better, they have overrun humanity's reign. The revolt is now deteriorating with the dying human race. Many vampires are becoming Peacekeepers who are revolting against the revolt. Unfortunately, the revolution has already killed off my parents forcing me to take the throne. My coronation is soon."

Eliora's lips form a thin line, "Josh... I'm sorry about your parents..."

"Oh, that's not that big of a deal. My real parents are my caretakers who are still alive. Royals are never close to their parents. The disturbing part of their death is the fact I have to take over in such a crucial time with no training from my parents. Luckily, a lot of my consultants are assisting me and a lot of vampires are joining my army. We intend to take over the revolt once again. Vampires should only be able to take from the willing. We do not die without blood, we only crave it," Josh explains.

"So you aren't leading the attacks on humans?" Eliora's heart pounds nervously.

"No."

Eliora's mind wanders, "Explain this, though; how can you be in sunlight and how come your eyes aren't yellow?"

"Stop biting your lip and I'll tell you," Josh lifts his eyebrows expectantly. Eliora releases her lower lip from her front teeth's grip, "Alright, I am a very rare vampire. I am one of few vampires that can withstand sunlight without turning to stone. Blue eyes and black hair are a mark of that kind of vampire, the two genes that cannot be found in nature."

"Were your parents like that?" Eliora asks.

"No, but they both had ancestors that had the trait. Because of that, my father was forced to marry Eleanor, my mother," Josh puts his legs up on the bed. Yawning, Eliora lies down her body, "If you're tired, I can let you sleep."

"No!" Eliora exclaims suddenly, "I mean... I'm not tired." A yawn escapes her lips again, contradicting her statement.

"Really, Ellie, you should sleep," Josh persists.

"Please... I really don't want to fall asleep..."

Josh sits up, crossing his legs, "Why not?"

Eliora looks up at him hesitantly, "I have reoccurring dreams. They are always about my beginning of the end... They're nightmares... I've never been able to stop them from coming... They always start with my best friend's death, then my meeting with a certain person, and right now I'm on the next dream. The most horrible of all."

Josh's expression softens, "What is it about?"

"I don't want to talk about it..."

"Alright, well, I guess I'll stay up with you," Josh says simply.

For hours, they talked about their lives at home and how it was before the invasion. Eliora learned that Josh never interacted with other vampire than those from the monarchy like his parents and consultants. Since his parents are gone, he's been able to go out, disguising himself as human, and learn what their world is like. When Eliora found him in the grip of a Gambler, the Gambler had discovered his identity and immediately tried to bring him back to his master.

"So you've been running from Gamblers?" Eliora asks vacantly.

"Not really. They never realize who I am. I've always been with small groups of humans, I fit right in. When you found me, I was honestly thankful you had saved me," Josh states, a yawn escaping his own lips.

Suddenly, Eliora's eyelids droop, sleep tempting her, the nightfall outside goading her as well. She lets her head drop on the pillow, taking one last peek at a sleeping Josh.

Henry gripped Eliora's arm, squeezing harder every time Kate hit a vampire. Henry began to sleep next to her, his blonde, fluffy hair tickling Eliora's chin. He was so tiny even compared to Eliora. Kate drove quickly through the scenic route to the airport.

Eliora took a deep breath, watching all the screaming people through the trees being torn apart by multiple beasts. She shivered at the thought of her being one of them. Henry tugged at her sleeve, "Yes, Henry?"

Henry bit his lip, holding his hands in between his legs, "Um... Ebbie? I need to go."

"Henry! Now is NOT the time!" Eliora whispered. Henry looked at Eliora with uncertainty. He seemed as if he would explode any second.

"Kate?" Eliora asked.

Kate's eyes travelled to the backup mirror, "Yes?"

"Henry has to go to the restroom. I'm so sorry," Eliora said. On the inside, she screamed for Kate to say no.

Kate sighed, pulling over to an abandoned warehouse, a Portapotty resting just inside, "Can NOT get caught. Go quickly. Hurry! Now."

Eliora grabbed Henry's hand, practically throwing themselves out of the car. Kate ran behind them with a large gun, cocked and ready. Henry held Eliora's hand with a large grip.

Henry sprinted to the Portapotty as Eliora ran behind it, to make sure the coast is clear. Her heart pounded inside her chest as she heard Henry beginning to pee. Luckily, he was potty trained.

Eliora saw something, suddenly moving towards it. Kate doesn't notice at all. In the floor above her, the same movement appeared.

Suddenly, a large crumbling wall began to fall, Eliora screamed, running away from the stone. A crushing sound comes from behind her as she ran, suddenly caught back by something. Pain courses through her body as she falls down. With her face on the floor, she looks back at her right leg, smashed under a large brick wall.

Eliora gasps, waking up from the horrible nightmare, sweat curling down her face. Shudders flow through her as she sobs, looking down at her prosthetic leg.