Chapter Fifteen: You've Got Some Explaining To Do

"Ellie?" Kate's expression changes to shock.

Eliora feels numb as she stares at the traitor, "Does anyone know you're here?"

"No, only you do. Your door was first one I opened," Kate whispers, her English clearly better, the Russian accent still there, but a little fading.

Eliora grabs her, pulling her inside the room and locking the door, "What the fuck are you doing here?!"

"I joined Ravens. Ever since I had to leave you behind, I've never been able to forgive myself or them," Kate exhales.

Eliora's lips form a thin line, "Why didn't you come back for me?"

"I did-but you were already gone! Someone stole you before I could save you," Kate snarls.

Eliora laughs bitterly, "You-you left me. If it weren't for Vincent, I'd be fucking DEAD! You barely even looked back at me, despite the fact you saved me with my amputated leg! It's so messed up!"

"You still remember that after ten years?" Kate scratches her head, her black hair cut to boy's length.

"Of course I do. It was my first betrayal and the worst one, too," Eliora spits out.

Kate looks up innocently, "I honestly came back for you."

Eliora paces about the room, "What about Henry? Huh? He's dead I'm guessing. After all these years of course he's dead-"

"He's alive."

"You selfish person! The least you could have done was protect him-" Eliora catches herself on her rant, "Wait... He's alive?"

"Yes. He's back at headquarters," Kate smiles, "Now can I hug you?"

Before answering, Eliora throws herself at Kate, hugging her furiously and crying into her shoulder. Despite her contempt, Eliora has missed her through all these years, "I've missed you, Kate... You were the only person I knew this whole entire time who could sympathize with me in every situation."

Kate pulls away, twirling a piece of Eliora's hair, "You've changed a lot. Taller. Hair's darker. Stronger. A lot stronger," she feels Eliora's muscle, "And more sad as well. The world's changed you. You have to adapt to survive... Im so sorry I left you alone... I regret it, so much. I still owed you my life and I left you. I'm so sorry..."

Eliora smiles, "It's alright. I-I forgive you. You had a vampire pulling at you, the only thing you could do was floor it."

Kate furrows her brows sadly, "What about you? What are you doing here? Are you prisoner?"

Eliora takes a deep breath, "Well, I have a lot to explain." Eliora begun with meeting Josh and how she saved him from a Gambler. She talked about him leaving her when it got dark. She told her about how she was 'saved' by a Peacekeeper.

"A Peacekeeper? There's no such thing," Kate says in disbelief.

"That's why I used quotations with my fingers when I said 'Peacekeepers'" Eliora says.

A knowing light brightens Kate's eyes, "Oh! That's why you did that finger movement. Okay. Continue."

Eliora says, "After I was saved, they brought me to this hospital."

"Hospital? This is the vampire's castle. You're just in the medical aid wing. This whole entire place is in the heart of the Vahirine, the land of the vampires," Kate sits down on Eliora's bed.

"I didn't... Didn't know that," Eliora gulps.

"Continue."

Eliora nods, running a nervous hand through her hair. She then explained that Josh is the vampire prince and he offered her the position of being his queen.

"You denied him, right?" Kate tilts her head.

Eliora plays with the sheet on her lap, "About that..."

"You accepted?!" Kate gasps in disbelief, "Why, Ellie?"

"I figured..." Eliora stops, going to the door to look into the door's peephole. Standing beyond the door was a girl in a tissue dress. Eliora opens the door, pulling the girl inside and putting her into a neck lock, "Who are you? Were you sent to spy on me? Tell me!" Eliora growls softly.

"I-I was sent by Prince Josh... He tol-told me to see what you... you were up to..." the girl sputters in Eliora's chokehold.

"Does anyone else know of her presence?" Eliora swings the girl's head painfully to the side as she huffs and scratches at the arms around her neck.

She shakes her head, "No."

"Do you have a camera on you or something?" Eliora squeezes tighter as Kate whips out a knife.

"N-no... I-I'll scream..." the girl struggles out.

"You do that, I break your neck," Eliora puts her face next to the girl's. A squeak comes out from her lips, "Are you one of their slaves?"

"No..."

"So no one will notice your death," Eliora squeezes her arms even harder, cutting off the girl's breathing. She struggles against Eliora, squeaking and scratching Eliora's arms. Suddenly, she goes limp in Eliora's arms, the girl's head rolling back on Eliora's shoulder. Y

"Let's get rid of the body," Eliora whispers.

Kate nods, grabbing the body and leaving the room, "You stay here."

Eliora nods as she leaves with the girl on her shoulder. Eliora turns off her lights and slips into her bed. In case anyone comes in while Kate's out, she puts on a light next to her bed and grabs a book from the tiny bookshelf in the corner. She looks at it, noticing the book to be Pride and Prejudice. A smile comes to her face with a tint of sadness. Vincent's favorite book is Pride and Prejudice.

A small noise comes from the door, it opens, revealing Kate in her army outfit, "Just me." Eliora nods, slipping her feet over the bed and resting the book on her lap.

"Now that that's over, what the hell were you thinking joining them? Huh? Do you have any sense in your head?" Kate exclaims silently.

Eliora looks down at her book making an expression that is reminiscent of a child in trouble, "I figured I could try and control the power. I figured I could join them and defeat them. I could even help the Ravens out with their research for the cure. They need a vampire on their side, don't they?"

Kate takes a deep breath, shaking her head, "That's what everyone says, but the thirst is too much for them. You can't turn that power against them when they use that power to their advantage."

Eliora stands up, "But imagine how much power as queen I would have! I would be able to overthrow the prince and the king. I could turn around this whole entire invasion! You don't know how much I could do if I could control that power."

"That's right. IF you can control it! You know that if you can't control it, you'll be enemy number one of the Ravens for being the queen of the vampires. I can't protect you if you do that. I promised to kill every vampire I see when I joined the Ravens, that will include you," Kate rubs her temples.

Eliora takes a deep breath, "I'm willing to take that risk, but if I can control it, promise me you'll try to get me with the Ravens without being killed."

Kate studies her face, "I promise. Here's a walkietalkie. If you can control yourself, call me on channel seven," Kate hands a yellow handheld device to Eliora.

"Please, don't raid the castle, too. I need time for them to trust me," Eliora whispers. When Kate nods, Eliora smiles, "I'll see you later, Kate. Please take care of yourself."

"Bye, Ellie," Kate goes to the door with her large shotgun on her shoulder. Taking one last look back, Kate leaves, reminding Eliora of the day she betrayed her.

This time, it'll be different. For the first time, she'll do the betraying and, to be honest, Eliora was excited for it.