Chapter Twenty

"You look really beautiful." Derek whispered into my ear.

I smiled. Him, Aliyah, Brandon, Sienna, and I sat together in the limo Aliyah's parents rented out. Aliyah had her hand entwined in Brandon's as they talked about school quietly. She had on a white party dress with diamonds embedded on it. Her hair was in puffy curls with sparkles on it. She looked like a winter fairy.

I looked over at Sienna. She didn't bring a date for some reason that I really wanted to know. I could've sworn she was going to bring a date. She had her head hung down at her phone, probably texting. She had on a black halter dress with gems on the straps. She looked really pretty. She was also pretty mad at me because I didn't wear the dress she wanted me to wear. Instead, Audrey let me take one of her dark blue party dresses. She curled my hair and then did a waterfall on it.

"Did you guys know we were having a guest performer at the dance?" Aliyah asked us.

"Yea, I just got word of it now." Sienna said.

"Who's the guest performer?" I asked as Derek stretched his arm over on my shoulders.

"It's a surprise apparently." Brandon answered.

I sat back. Who could my school possibly afford? Probably a Singer no one has ever heard of. The rest of the ride was pretty quiet. Aliyah and Brandon kept flirting, Sienna kept texting and Derek kept showering me with compliements. Somehow I have a feeling that hes he's being nice to me now to disappoint me later.

The dance was in full motion when we got there. Sienna had run off the her president duties, Brandon and Aliyah went straight to the dance floor and Derek automatically left to get me punch. Soon enough I ended up sitting at the bleachers by myself. I wasn't really hurt that everyone ditched me, even my date. I just sat back and watched everyone else have fun.

"What is a beautiful girl like you doing here alone at a dance?" I heard a familiar voice ask.

I turned my head to see who had said that. There, I saw Jake standing in a tuxedo and tinted sunglasses. He had a wide smile plastered across his face. My face flustered in a blush.

"Jake." I said getting off the bleachers and standing in front of him.

"Hey Rose, you look amazing tonight." Jake said.

I ignored him and wrapped my arms around his neck and grabbed him into a hug. "I can't believe its you." A tear rolled down my cheek.

"Hey, I told you I was coming back." He said in a soft voice. He wrapped his hands around my waist,"I missed you Rose."

I pulled away from him with a couple of tears rolling down my cheeks. "Hey," He said picking my chin up with his hand. "I'm here right, no need for tears."

I nodded. I wiped my tears and smiled at him. He smiled back. I can't believe he's back. My heart is beating so fast, I can barely breathe. Wait if he's here, then the rest of the band is.

"Where's the other guys?" I asked.

"Oh, they're getting ready for our performance here." Jake answered.

My face lit up,"You guys are performing? That's amazing!"

"Yea, but we kind of have to lay low before the performance because of the fans." Jake said tapping his sunglasses.

I nodded. Get Lucky by Daft Punk started playing. I grabbed Jake's hand,"C'mon lets go dance."

"Hold on, I need to tell you something important. C'mon lets go somewhere private." Jake said.

I rested my head on Jake's shoulder as we sat in the slightly dark main hallway. It was so quiet with everyone at the dance. I probably missed half of it. However, this is way better than sitting on the bleachers alone. I'm pretty sure Derek didn't get me punch.

My eyelids got heavy. Jake chuckled,"Tired huh?"

I smiled,"Sorry, everything got so quiet I just couldn't stay awake." "Can you just tell me what's so important?"

Jake sat up,"Do you remember what you said to me the last time we saw each other at camp?"

I nodded. "I told you I loved you."

"It was a shock. I thought you were into Kellan and the kiss we had the day before was a mistake, but it wasn't." Jake said. "I love you Rose."

I put my hand on his cheek and turned it to my face. I kissed him on the lips. The memories of all the times we had began flooding in. I can't believe he's really back. No one believed me when I said we'd see them again. The kiss got more serious and lasted about three minutes until Jake pulled away.

"Rose, I'm dating someone." He said.

I froze. He's dating someone. I took my hands away from his face. I looked down. He is dating someone yet he just told me he loved me. I feel like someone just ripped my heart out of my chest and it really hurts. I'm not sure if I should mad or sad.

"Wh-who are y- when did y-" I stuttered with a strain in my voice.

"Its not a real relationship. Its for publicity." Jake said. "Remember that girl that everyone saw with Blaine a couple of months ago?"

I nodded. "Well she's a new solo artist and our record producer is her father. She choose me to be a fake boyfriend and if I didn't agree then we would've been kicked out of the buisness." Jake explained.

I slouched on the locker. The boy that I have been waiting for for 5 months is taken. You really know how to pick them Rose. First a cheater and now this. I stood up and began to walk down the hall. Jake ran after me.

"Woah, where are you going?" He asked.

I turned to face him,"Do you not realize how hurt I was when everyone kept telling me that you guys probably forgot us, that you forgot me?" "It hurt a lot Jake. I just don't know how to take this right now." I said with tears rolling down my cheeks. Jake had an apologetic exspression on his face. I felt bad for getting on him like this. Its not like he wanted to date the girl. This just hurts too much for me.

The principal was announcing the mystery performers when I got back to the gym. I spotted Sienna texting by the bleachers. I walked over her and she locked her phone.

"Hey, why are your eyes red? Have you been crying? Who made you cry? Was it Derek?" She asked, her voice getting angrier at each sentence.

Before I could answer her, the principal announced the band that was playing. Sienna got completely silent as the crowd got loud with applause. The band got on the stage. They all had matching tuxedos on. Jeremy looked around the crowd, he was probably looking for Aliyah. Blaine looked straight at Sienna and smiled. Sienna just looked away from him. Kellan waved at me and I couldn't help but wave back, I'm pretty sure he's still sorry about our harsh break up. Jake looked at me and down at his feet.

"If I knew they were the guest speakers, I would've never came to this dance." Sienna said glaring at the boys. She and I both knew she couldn't look away even if she tried.

"Me too." I said plopping down on the bleachers.

The band started to play Love Somebody by Maroon Five. Kellan started off the song as always. They aroused the crowd by letting them sing along to the chorus. Jake started to sing the second verse and immediately made eye contact with me. A tear rolled down from my eye, that's when he looked away.

"Ugh, can we get out of here already?" Sienna asked, annoyed.

I looked at her. She had her arms crossed on her chest. I looked back at the stage. The guys were still singing. Jake has a fake relationship right now, which means I might never get to date him.

"Yea, lets go." I said.