Chapter 19

I woke up to sounds of screams and things being destroyed. Hades was carrying me and running through the house.

"What's happening?" I yelled.

"Were being attacked" he said as his speed picked up.

"By who?"

"Ares. He has freed one of the titans from their prison and together they built an army. They want my throne. With it they would be unstoppable and could free all of the other titans."

"So what do we do?"

"You stay where it's safe and I'll fight them off."

"No you'll get hurt. I won't leave you.

"If you don't I'll be too worried about you and that will cause me to get hurt."

"I have a bad feeling about this. Be safe."

"Of course."
He kissed me then set me down. We were in a small room with only one door but no windows.

"I'll come back for you when it's safe. I love you Avangeline."

"I love you too."

He kissed me one last time then he was gone, the door locked shut with a resounding boom.

The room was adequately furnished with a bed, dresser, small fridge, a desk, a small bathroom and  a medium sized pantry. The fridge and pantry were stocked with food and water so that was one less thing to worry about. I sat down on the bed and stared at the wall across from me. All I could seem to do was worry about Hades. This resulted in me walking around the room for hours until I wore myself out enough to sleep.

When I awoke nothing had changed. I was still in the small room and Hades hadn't come back. How long would it take to defeat a titan? I knew it was no small feat but if the other gods were helping him, surely it wouldn't take to long the wrangle it back into its prison right? Nevertheless I set in to wait as there was nothing else I could do. I had found out earlier that the door was locked from the outside so I was trapped, and hopefully for only one more day at most.
___________________________________________________________________

What I would assume was about a week based upon the clock that resided in the room had passed and Hades hadn't come. I was losing my mind. There was nothing to do and you can only sleep so much. However the fridge and pantry never seemed to run out of food and there was always water bottles restocked as well. It must have some kind of spell or godly power put on it. The door stayed locked and no matter what I did to try and open it, nothing worked.

Suddenly I felt a sharp pain throughout my body  and I fell to the floor. The pain didn't go away and seemed to increase. It continued for only about a  minute and I felt some sort of energy entering my body. It kept building and building and I could feel myself  becoming stronger and sturdier. When the influx of power stopped I slowly got up and went into the bathroom. In the mirror was a fierce Amazon- looking princess. She was tall and beautiful looked confident and I realized that it was me. I had all of the same features as before but they seemed more accentuated. What the hell had happened? I felt so much power and energy buzzing in and around me and it was almost overwhelming but at the same time I felt a vast emptiness that I couldn't explain.

I made a quick courtesy glance around the room and nothing seemed to had changed. I quickly walked to the door and turned the handle and this time it clicked and the door popped open revealing an empty hallway before me. Something wasn't right. I could feel it in my bones... literally.

I followed the hallway back to the way I knew led to the main part of Hades' house. I didn't pass a single soul on my journey which worried me greatly. Once I had made it to the main crossroad of hallways that I recognized I took the one that led to Hades' throne room. I wasn't sure why I chose to go that way but it felt right. When the doors loomed before me I felt panic rise in my chest. The feeling never went away even as I opened the doors. Before me lied a hall of ruins. The pillars were crumbling and the floor was cracked. The only thing not destroyed was the throne itself which sat perfectly unscathed on its pedestal. There were people picking up the rubble and repairing everything.

In the center of the room were two beings I didn't recognize. They were both tall and muscular  men whose presence oozed power. One was dark skinned with raven black hair that fell in beach waves around his face. The other had fair skin and neutral brown hair in a casual ponytail tied with a leather strip. But what was striking about the first man was his eyes. They seemed almost white they were so bright blue.

When I entered both of them immediately focused their attention on my their shoulders stiffened and they seemed to brace themselves as if ready to fight. But almost instantly they relaxed.

"You must be Avangeline. Am I right?" Said the blue eyed man.

"I am.. but who are you, what happened here, and where is Hades?"

"I am Zeus and this is Poseidon. This is the aftermath of the battle we fought with Ares. Now Hades whereabouts are a tricky matter."

"What do you mean?"

"You see Hades was severely injured during the battle. His body was destroyed."

"He- he's dead?" I cried out tears streaming down my face in an instant. I was heartbroken and destroyed inside. I felt as if I had lost everything all at once and I fell to my knees in despair.

The man named Poseidon who had kept silent so far walked in front of me and knelt down next to me, putting his hand on my shoulder.
"My brother is not dead." He rumbled in a deep voice like crashing waves.
"He is simply unable to be here physically for the time being until he can regenerate his physical form back. But that however could take some time."

"How long" I asked, relief evident in my voice.

"It could be ten years, a hundred, maybe even a thousand. We don't know. It depends on how much power he was able to hang onto. "

I felt tears well in my eyes again. "I will wait for him!" I declared my voice ringing strong through my tears.

"Good" boomed Zeus.

"I know we have just handed you bad news but in his absence someone must rule the underworld, and as his queen that person should be you. I'm aware you don't know anything about running a kingdom but Poseidon has agreed to stay and help you until you figure it out. I also understand that Hades gave you an immortal body if you hadn't figured it out for yourself yet and with it you should be able to perform your duties to your kingdom just fine. But be warned that gift he gave you cost him some of his power therefore his return will be further derailed. I wish you the best of luck. Goodbye for now."

He disappeared in a cloud of stormy smoke leaving me with Poseidon.

"Zeus is a man of few words I apologize for his rude behavior. You will learn quickly and time will pass swiftly so fret not. I shall leave you to yourself to absorb what you've been told today. I'm sorry this has happened. I'll be back tomorrow. You'll make a great queen."

He too than disappeared leaving me in a room made of ruins with a heavy heart and my shoulders full of responsibilites.