Chapter 28

[Dan's p.o.v]

*July 19*

     We were all at the hospital, sitting in the waiting room. After we had made that video, I had gotten worse and worse. I could barely move, I was sweaty, I couldn't eat. Luckily Phil and Mallory took care of me for the past few days.
     I don't know what's been wrong with me. Sickness came almost a day after the incident. I know for sure Ava's going to be fine. Mostly.
     We've all been in close contact with her parents. They are scared for her, even more than we are. They have either called, Skyped, or texted at least two of us at least twice a day.
     But I'm scared for them. They don't know everything that's happening because they're on the other side of the world.
     The doctor said that she had woken up a couple days ago. They didn't get to do any test on her for memory or anything like it. She fell right back asleep.
     They called us here today because they needed to tell us what might happen.
     "Keller," the doctor called.
     We all stood up and ran towards him. I held a bouquet of flowers and we all started walking behind the doctor as he led us to her room. "We checked her spinal cord just now.," he said checking the clipboard. "It just barely skimmed it. It has micro size damage."
     We all sighed.
     "But that doesn't mean nothing's wrong with her. She could have memory loss."
     Wait what?!
     It was like Phil read my mind. "What do you mean she might have memory loss?"
     "I'm saying that she could have lost..." he stopped and flipped through his clipboard. "About half a year? Maybe a little more."
     "Oh no," I say under my breath. "Do you have an exact estimate?"
     He shook his head as we got to the window of her room. "I'm sorry. We can't know for sure until we can run tests on her."
     Phil saw the worried look on my face. He held my shoulder, but didn't say anything. A tear fell down both of our faces.
     "Don't worry," Mallory comforted. "She'll remember you two." She brought us into a hug. Her voice started to crack at the end. We all pulled away. At this point we were all sobbing uncontrollably.
     Mallory then turned to look at Ava in her room and then tugged on Phil's shirt. She pointed inside the room without taking her eyes off Ava. Me and Phil then stared at what we saw.
     Ava was sitting up in her bed trying to rub the sleep out of her eyes.
     We all ran in at the same time. Mallory ran up and hugged her so did Phil, but Ava had the strangest look on her face when she saw me and Phil. I was worried, but it was probably just a face in pain.
     They both pulled away. "We missed you so much Ava!" They said it at the same time.
     "I missed you too, Mallory," She said. Then her face changed from partially happy to a bit scared "But why is Phil here? We haven't even seen each other in forever!"
     I could tell that their hearts sank at that very moment. Mallory started to try and explain, but she was on the verge of tears.
     Phil then said, "wh-what do you mean A-Ava?" He started to stutter. "I-I'm your best friend - we are all your best friends!"
     She then looked straight at me. "Then how come I don't know know him?"
     There was then broken glass in my chest where my heart used to be.
     All of our facial expressions died. Mallory and Phil looked and me worriedly. A single tear fell as I stared at the foot of the bed.
     Mallory gripped her foot. "Please Ava," she said, biting her lip. "Think hard of what happened the past nine months."
     She laid back down slowly, covering her eyes trying to think. She uncovered them and looked at me. Then at Phil. She covered them again.
     After about a minute or two she sat back up. "I'm sorry." She saw me start to cry a little bit. "I'm so sorry! I can't seem to remember a thing! The last time I saw Mallory was back in America for summer break."
     She then looked at Phil. "And the last time I saw you was during uni!" She paused. This was my chance to try and explain who I was to her and to show her some pictures.
     "Ava," I stopped taking in breath. "I'm... your boyfriend."
     She cupped her moth with her hands. Tears started to fall down her cheeks. "Oh my gosh!" Her voice was breaking. "I-I-I seriously am so sorry! I can't remember!"

A/N: hey peeps!
So as you might've already telled, the next few chapters are going to be really emotional and crazy so sorry if they're short.
Anyways, hope you all have a lovely week/day!
Later👋🏼