Chapter 8

[Phil's p.o.v]

     It's been seven months since I found out that Ava had a friend that would be interested. Her name is Mallory, I think. I see her once in while when Ava is skyping her and I happen to walk beside her computer. I haven't met her, like said my name or anything because Ava said she might freak out that she would be living next to us. Then that would make her want to ditch college and come here, to London, right then and there. So I have been waiting for this moment since the start.
     Ava told Mallory that she would pick her up back at their old neighborhood so that they could see their home again. We are just finishing packing up our stuff to go with her.
     "Come on, Phil!" Dan yells as I throw my last bit of stuff into my backpack, "Ava is waiting for us!"
     Dan and Ava have still been boyfriend and girlfriend for months, and they still find out new stuff about each other. They have gotten very far in their relationship. Dan even bought her a necklace to show his affection for her. It was a crystal teardrop that shimmered in the light whenever it moved.
     I walk down the stairs carrying my heavy suitcase behind me. "Okay I'm ready," I say to Dan as he opens the door. Ava is standing outside the door with her arms crossed and back leaned against the wall. She looks up at Dan and gives him a smooch. I don't know why, but I'm happy the are together. Probably because they look like the perfect couple.
     She smiles and says, "you guys ready?" We nod and she runs down the stairs with her suitcase. I still can't believe how athletic she is, even though she is tall.
     We get in a taxi with smiles strung across our faces. It feels like a long drive, but eventually we get to the London Heathrow Airport and unpack our bags out of the taxi. We go in the airport and get our tickets for the flight. We find our gate after going through the metal detector. I sit next to Dan and he sits next Ava on the hard, plastic chairs outside the gate.
     "I am..." Ava stood up and said, "I am going to go to the bathroom."
     Dan chuckled, "Good luck!"
     She turns around, scoffs, and walks away. I look over towards Dan and he is on his phone, checking Twitter. I asked him, "You're not tweeting about us going to the US, are you?"
     He looked at me and back at his phone. "Yeah," he said. "I mean, I already told my subscribers, and so did you." He hit post and I got a notification shortly after.
     I scoff at him, "True. But if your subscribers ask you why like mine did, just tell them it's for fun."
     Me and Dan have still been making videos, but he still hasn't told them about him dating Ava. She has become a YouTuber in the past few months. She has been asking for tips on how to make good YouTube video and how to edit, which is a good thing to do. Especially if you want to get known.
     Ava walked back with her phone in hand. "Hey," she said. "Did you two bring winter coats?"
     Me and Dan shook our heads. Dan asked what I was thinking, "Why would we need them?"
     "Mallory just texted me and said it snowed." She waved her hand at us, "It's fine. I think I have a couple of coats at my house there."
     Dan looked at me and back at her. "How could it have snowed when it's the middle of May?" Dan asked, "is it some sort of mystery that Colorado hasn't solved yet."
     Ava and I chuckled. She sat down and said, "no. It has been like that for as long as I can remember. I remember it snowing once in May, just like it did now. It's very cold in the spring and fall and very warm in the summer."
     A while after, the intercom came on and the lady said, "Now boarding flight A23 from London to Denver International Airport in Denver, Colorado. United States." She kept repeating that a few times.
     I looked over at Ava and she smiled. "That's our flight!" She stood up and grabbed her carry-on bag. We all walked over to the gate and boarded the plane. "I call the isle chair," Ava yelled out. I guessed I was going next to the window. I slid in through the chairs and sat down. The chairs were comfy, almost like my mattress at home. This was probably because it was going to be a twenty hour flight.
     After about three hours of flying, my stomach started to grumble. I always knew Ava had snacks on hand everywhere she went. "Ava," I whisper. "Do you have anything to eat?"
     She looked up at me and then reached down into her bag. "What would you like?" She asked, "I have Cheetos, a bag of chips..." She trailed off searching through her bag.
     "You mean crisps right?"
     She looked at me like I was crazy. Then she realized that I called them crisps and nodded. "I would like to have the crisps please," I said.
     She handed the crisps to me and asked Dan if he wanted anything. He said no.
     She shrugged, "suit yourself." She popped open the bag of Cheetos.
     I fell into a deep sleep a few hours later. It was still light outside. That was the bad thing about flying to other countries on the other side of the world. If it was noon in London, then it would be around five AM in the United States. I hope I'll be able to fall asleep when we get there.