Chapter 9

[Ava's p.o.v]

     I woke up with a jolt as the plane was landing. I always hate the take offs and the landings. They are too bumpy for me.
     Dan, Phil, and I got of the plane and got our luggage. We went and got something to eat for breakfast even though it the sun was just about to rise over the mountains.
     The mountains.
     I never realized how homesick I was until now. I yearned to be in my home here in Colorado with a piping cup of hot chocolate and some chips, watching Netflix. I'm so close, I thought, so close to being back home.
     Dan startled me when he came up behind me and said, "who are we getting a ride from?" He noticed me jump and held my shoulder, "are you alright?"
     I nodded and told him, "I was just think about how much I've missed this place." I turned and looked at him, "We just have to take a taxi to the nearest storage unit. I put my car in there."
     As we rode in the taxi, I remember the fresh, cool air and the altitude that always made me fall asleep easily. I daydreamed about seeing my family again after almost half a year. Seeing Mallory before she went back to college just after winter break. My dreams stopped when the taxi pulled to a halt.
     I got out and made sure we were at the right place. I paid the driver and he sped off. Phil looked at me with a smile and said, "I've always wondered what your car looked like."
     "Well," I told him. "You're about to find out!" We wandered along looking for the unit number that the front desk gave me. The note read 249. I walked along looking at the numbers on top of the doors. 240. Excitement rushed through my veins, making want to run ahead and look. 247. 248.
     I can't believe this is happening, I thought to myself. I slowed as I looked at my storage unit with a glad smile along my face. I looked over at them both. I chuckled, "once you see my car, I don't want either of you to judge me. This car is my baby." At this point I was pointing at them.
     Dan held up his hands in surrender, "I promise I won't."
     I unlocked my unit door and my pulse fired up. I wipped the door open quickly, letting it slam up.
     My beautiful, 67' Chevy Impala had its black paint gleaming in the sunlight that came in. It was just the way I'd left it. Only a bit dusty, I decided that I would go get a car wash sometime soon. Phil whistled and said, "it's old."
     I gave him a glance and told him, "it's a classic Chevy. I always wanted one when I was a teen, so when I got enough money, I bought it from the Internet and fixed it up nice making it look exactly, as I wanted it to." I walked around stroking the paint with my fingers, feeling the smoothness of the hood. I looked over at the boys and said, "who wants to ride shotgun?"
     Dan shook his head, "sorry. I don't know how you drive. No offense."
     "None taken." I look over at Phil, "do you?"
     There was a long pause. After he thought about it, he said, "yeah, why not? It'll be fun!"
     After we all got in the car, I grabbed the keys from the glove compartment and turned the engine. It purred and it made me feel like I was riding on a panther.
     I turned the wheel with my foot pressing hard on the gas. Phil gasped when we drifted and Dan was hugging himself tightly. I asked him and Dan, "what? Look guys, I haven't drove this beauty in almost half a year, so don't judge me if I'm going all crazy on the road.
     They both nodded.
     We were on the road for a long time, speeding down Interstate Twenty-Five at seventy miles per hour. We eventually turned off on exit 141 and by then it was 11:45. Slowing down, I asked Dan and Phil, "do you guys want anything for lunch?"
     They both shook their heads. They were looking out the windows in astonishment at all the scenery. All of the different people, which wasn't that much of a scene for any of us. The most beautiful ones were further away.
     Just before getting onto Highway Twenty-Four, I asked them, "maybe this week while we're here, we go around town and look at all the different places. We can go around and see some of my old friends and teachers too!"
     Dan looked at me with wide eyes. "Yes please!"

A/N: wow it's been a while.
My school is odd. We had two more weeks of school after break ended before the quarter finally ended. So it's been crazy with the amount of hw I had. Along with my shoulder acting up every time I got really deep into typing.
I just hope nobody deleted this story from their library while I was gone.
Anyways, I'm working on a new chapter this weekend while I have a chance.
Bye👋🏻