Chapter 80

A.J. P.O.V.

"You want more potatoes baby?" I sat up straight in my seat, watching Marissa's mama put some food on her plate.

"Nah, Im good, thank you." She smiled, sitting down the bowl of potatoes.

This was the last place I wanted to be on a Friday night, but I just wanted to make Marissa happy.

I glanced over at her pops, who was stuffing his face with food, not even paying attention to me, not that I wanted him too.

Since we sat down at the table fifteen minutes ago, things were quiet for the most part, and slightly awkward.

This whole dinner was suppose to be a way for her pops to "get to know me better" and to make sure my intentions were pure, but so far he hadn't said a word to me like usual.

"So August." I looked over at her dad, watching him wipe his mouth with his napkin. "Thank you for comin."

I slightly nodded. "No problem, anything for Marissa." She looked over at me and smiled, continuing to eat.

"Mmm, right....I know you're probably wondering why were just now sitting down together after all this time, but recently I noticed that you and my daughter have gotten pretty close."

I slightly frowned, wondering what the hell he was talking about. We had been together for about four years, and there was nothing "recent" about that. There was no way he could've been that oblivious to our relationship for the past four years.

"....I wouldn't say recently, but we're pretty close." He slightly smirked, nodding his head.

"I see, close enough for you to be buying her prom dress." I nodded. "Well we've been together for four years, and I love her, so why not? It wasn't a issue for me."

"Obviously not." He started. "But it's a issue for me."

I was silent. "I understand that you supposingly "love" my daughter or what not, but I don't want you thinking she's suppose to be giving you something in return for your "gifts"

I frowned, while Marissa started coughing. "Really daddy?"

He held up his hand, signaling for her to not interrupt the conversation.

"...I don't expect your daughter to do anything in return of what I do for her, whatever I do for her, is because I want to do it, not because I know I'll get something from her in return."

He nodded slowly. "So you're saying my daughter has never done something in return for you before?"

I frowned, feeling slightly awkward about this conversation. "....No.....I mean she's done things....but nothing like that."

"Good." He started again. "Because I raised a well mannered young woman, and I don't need no boy corrupting her mind."

"Charles, calm down." Marissa's mama started. "If you would've gotten to know AJ when they first started dating, you would know that he's a respectable young man, he treats Rissa with alot of respect, and I approve of their relationship."

Marissa slightly smiled, looking over at me. "And that's all well and good, but I wanna make sure he understands me."

"I understand you sir." I started again. "I know it might be hard to believe, but I really am In love with your daughter, she's my whole world, and I know you might think were too young to be in love, but we are, and I wouldn't do nothin to hurt or disrespect her or jeopardize our relationship."

Mrs.Marks nodded her head, as if she was impressed with my words. "See Charles? I told you you have nothing to worry about, he's a good kid."

"Everybody seems good at first." He started. "And everybody says the right things at first, Im just trying to make sure my daughter isn't doing anything she doesn't need to be doing, because of you."