The Ruins of Dale

Disclaimer: I do not own The Hobbit or any of it's characters. Everything belongs to J.R.R. Tolkien and Peter Jackson. However, I do own Jolene, Ashlynn and their story.

-

Recap: Together, we all charge the Orc ranks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 28

I give my own battle cry and cross my dual swords in an X in front of my face. I slash, stab and hack my way thought the hordes or Orcs. Jo is close behind me. I've always been the faster runner because of my training with Thomas and Logan. I'm not worried for Jo. I know she can hold her own against the Orcs. I plunge my swords into an Orc's heart and yank my swords out roughly. To my left, I slice off an Orc's leg and cut off it's arm. I spin around slashing at another Orc's side. I spin back around and slice off the first Orc's head. I dive onto the ground, narrowly avoiding an Orc's sword. I stand up quickly, not wanting to be killed on the ground.

"DAIN!" I hear a familiar voice yell. I look up to see Thorin majestically hacking away at Orcs. He slices an Orc's arm off and slashes the Orc's throat. Dain is a bit closer to Thorin than I am.

Dain looks up momentarily and shouts "THORIN, HOLD ON. I'm COMING." Dain slams his ax into the chest of a large Orc and smashes another Orc in the head. He slams an Orc to the ground and shouts to Thorin. "HEY, COUSIN! WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?" He turns to look Thorin in the eye. He casually slashes an Orc's throat open and gives Thorin a friendly bro hug. Dain and Thorin are just hugging in the middle of the battlefield. It just amazes me how they don't get killed doing that. I swing hard and an Orc head bounces along the ground.

'Yay. We could play football with that head' (Yes, sometimes I call soccer football. Hey, I'm Irish, shut up about it. Don't judge me)

I stab another Orc directly in the heart. I cross my swords in an X and plunge them both into the chest of a large Orc. I notice Jo isn't beside me anymore. In fact, she's nowhere near me. I stab an Orc through it's stomach and yank out my right sword, cutting the Orc's head off in the process with my left sword.

'Damn it, Jo. What happened to staying near each other so neither of us gets killed?'

I only a few feet away from Dain and Thorin now. I slash an Orcs throat and it falls down dead. I see and Orc behind Dain. It raises it's ax high, ready to sever Dain's head from his shoulders. 

"DAIN, MOVE!" I yell, panicking slightly. I do a running head start and sheath my twin swords. I pull two ring daggers out of my belt as Dain jerks to the side. I don't stop running. Instead, I grab onto Dain's shoulders and use him as leverage to do a front flip high into the air. I slit the Orc's throat as I gracefully twist through the air. The Orc is dead before it hits the ground. I land behind Thorin, rolling to the side so I don't damage my ankles. I come up perfectly onto one knee, crossing my two daggers in an X formation and slicing off another Orc's head. The head rolls along the ground until it stops between the two Dwarf Lords. They look down at the head then back up at me. I turn my head and grin at both of them. "Hey, guys. How's the killing spree going?"

Both of them just stare at me amazed at my double kill. I stand up and walk over to them. Dain grins at me. "Thorin, you never told your betrothed was such a beautiful and deadly shieldmaiden."

'Ooh, a compliment from Lord Dain. Is the world ending?'

Thorin looks confused for a second then realizes that his cousin thinks I'm in a relationship with the Dwarf King. He replies "She is not to be betrothed to me."