Chapter Fifteen

Alenna Riddle Ch.15

It was getting close to exams and Percy was practically forcing me to study hours on end, but if it wasn't for him, and his study techniques I would have gone mad. Oliver dragged me and Hadley to every Quidditch game. Astronomy got easier, thou it was still sickening, and I still was just as afraid of the high altitude. Bill was a busy prefect, he could barley find time to hang out with us. Charlie complained about divination, but he boasted about his wonderful abilities in care of magical creatures. Hadley, Oliver, and I were the closest of friends. Oliver was basically a Quidditch fanatic and always pestering the Gryffindor players for some tips. Hadley was still in awe over what magic could do, and I well I was for the first time in a while at ease. I now had kept the purple highlights that the twins gave me over holiday break, I loved the color, and I finally got a letter back from my mother after months of waiting.
It read

Dear Alenna,

You have no idea of how happy I was to have received your letter. You have grown to be a beautiful young witch. Although it's quite disappointing that you were not in Slytherin, I still love you, my daughter. I'm relieved to know your okay and have a good family looking after you. I know you went to Dumbledore instead of coming to me that night because you were afraid of our reactions, it's alright. I'm glad that you are safe, and that they didn't condemn you because of who your parents are. I just wish you didn't give them my wand. I'm pleased that you have full marks, and that your the brightest witch of your age. Please keep writing letters to me, Alenna. I love hearing from you, and you will always be my daughter. Don't let my brother tell you otherwise!
Love,
Maria Yaxley

I hadn't heard from my uncle since the day of he incident he was proud that I got to go out in the field. I hated him. He was probably just as, or worse than Bellatrix, always making sure that my mother was raising me right.

Anyway, today I suggested we enjoy the warmer weather and study outside. Percy complied and Oliver and Hadley joined us. Don't get me wrong I still tease Percy, but he was just trying to fill the big shoes that Bill and Charlie left him with. It was rumored that Charlie was going to be prefect next year. I believed it. Hadley was struggling with transfiguration so the two of us went over our notes then I quizzed her, she did okay, then we worked on our practical. We found a rock and tried to transfigured it. I got it rather easily, Percy as well, but Oliver and Hadley struggled a bit. When we decided to call it a day, Percy set off on his own, and Oliver, Hadley and I went back to the common room. I pulled out my book and began to read. It was a muggle poem book that Hadley said I would enjoy. One poem was-

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
Why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
Pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own back yard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
You may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.

Does my sexiness upset you?
Does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.

By Maya Angelou -Still I Rise.

But my favorite one has to be Where the Sidewalk Ends By: Shel Silverstein.
There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.

I became obsessed with the book of poems so Hadley got her Mum to send another copy. So we both had one.
Now that it was time for exams I wasn't worried but instead of studying I went up to Madame Pomfrey's in my free time to help her with the patients that were stressing out.
"Miss.Riddle thank you for your help, but you must get to your studies." She insisted as she tended to another student.
"I have everything memorized and you job is interesting." I complained.
"You spend enough time in her on your own accord Alenna, but if you insist I could use an extra hand." She sighed in defeat. "would you get me some calming Draughts out of my office?"
"Certainly." I chirped and skipped off to her office. It had a clean and simple feel. Her desk was prim and tidy, her books were perfectly aligned on their shelves and her coat and extra matron robes hung on a coat rack. I had no trouble finding the Calming Draughts in her organized cubbies. I brought them back to her as quickly as I could.
"Thank you." She breathed and rushed over to other fifth years who were stressing over the rapidly approaching OWLs, and of coarse the seventh years with their NEWTS, and apparition tests. I felt I was just adding to the trouble and left the hospital wing.

I wandered around the corridors not knowing what to do with myself. Some fifth year Ravenclaws, who were studying by a window, called me over.
"Yes?" I asked, I didn't normally get called over to help fifth years. But then I saw Peeves who was taking their books.
"Could you help us?" They pleaded.
"Yes." I smiled, I turned on peeves. He gave me a fearful look but kept his smirk on his face. I raised my wand and whispered 'immobulus' under my breath. Peeves froze in mid air, but he kept on teasing them.
"I don't know how to get him to shut up, you learn it in your fifth year don't you?" I asked.
"Yea, you could either use the silencing curse or mimble wimble"
"Brilliant, use him for studying." I said.
"Thanks, Alenna you sure are the brightest witch in your year, your welcome to hang out with the Ravenclaws anytime, maybe even in our common room, if you can figure out the riddle." A boy said.
"Riddle is in my name." I laughed.
"It sure is, bye Alenna!" They said as I walked back down the corridor.

Then I ran into McGonagall.

"Miss. Riddle, did I just see you preform magic in the corridors?" She asked.
"Yes professor." I sighed, of coarse when ever I help someone I get in trouble.
"Well I'll see you in detention." She said.
"Professor!" One of the Ravenclaws ran up to us, she had a prefect badge.
"Yes, Rogers?"
"Aleena helped us, Peeves was bugging us so she, being the only known student who peeves can't beat, immobilized him for us."
"Is this true Alenna?"
"Yes professor." I nodded quickly.
"Okay then I withdraw my detention, and I give 10 points to both Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, for helping a friend out of a jam." She gave a slight smile and continued on her rounds.
"Thanks." I said to the prefect.
"Oh come on that was the least I could do, we asked for your help and you almost got a detention for it." She sighed.
"We'll see you around I guess."
"See you around."
"Wait I have a question about Ravenclaw." I piped up.
"Ask."
"Well why is an eagle on your house emblem when it's called Ravenclaw?" I know it's a stupid question but it's bugged me forever.
"I actually have no idea, but it's a valid question." She said honestly, she furrowed her eyebrows in concentration for an answer.
"Oh it's fine it's just bugged me don't worry about it." I said and walked down the hallway.