Chapter 13 - Apologies

Daniel stayed by my side for the whole week and I’d always ask him to stay with me at night. He didn’t mind but sometimes I felt bad because I still woke up during the night and he’d wake up too. Half the time Daniel wouldn’t even be anywhere near me, I’d be on one side of the bed and he’d be on the other.

It was as if I had this special bubble around me and he was too scared to get any closer or touch me in case it would pop or something. The only time he'd ever be near me was when I was crying or if I’d woke up scared and alert during the night like a waiting wolf. Sometimes if I’d wake up without him knowing I’d roll over closer to him anyway to get warmer, otherwise I’d turn over just to look at his calm peaceful face to make sure he was there before finally drifting off to sleep.

I loved having him around to talk to I felt so much more safer and comfortable, having him around so much reminds me of when we had to stay at that apartment and we were practically locked in one room together for the whole day.

Even if Daniel was with me I still refused to go downstairs and eat and when I was awake I made Daniel stay with me upstairs. He kept trying to persuade me to come downstairs to eat or at least let him go down to make something and bring it up, but I still kept refusing.

The first few days he gave up and stayed with me, watching me get hungrier and hungrier, until finally one morning I woke up with the smell of bacon and eggs right next to me. I don’t know how the breakfast kept popping out of nowhere when I was pretty sure Daniel stayed with me all night, it just didn’t make any sense.

‘Daniel, where is the food coming from? I know you didn’t make it cos I'm pretty sure you stay with me all the time.’ I said sitting cross-legged on my bed and searching his face.

‘I don’t know.’ He replies with a lazy shrug whilst drawing imaginary circles on my bed.

‘As if you don’t know; someone’s been cooking for us and sneaking it in. Who is it?’

Another lazy shrug, ‘I don’t know, Remy. I haven’t seen anyone come in and plus I’m always with you these days so I don’t know what's been going on with the rest of them.’ He looks up at me and leans his head on his fist, his elbow rested on top of his knee. ‘I know… I'm sorry,’ I reply apologetic and embarrassed because I’ve practically trapped him with me for almost two weeks now.

‘Remy, don’t you think it’s time to go back downstairs. We should go for a walk or something and stretch our legs you know. We’ve been staying up here for two weeks now.’

‘No!’ I yelled, panic in my voice, his brow furrows and he sighs, shoulders slumped in disappointment, ‘I-I mean, you can go. I guess I can stay here by myself now. But can you still come every now and then? Please?’ I ask feeling like a little child.

‘Really Remiah? Are you really ready to stay here all by yourself? I mean, you still wake up during the night and all and plus when your awake your always staring at the door as if you think-’ I cut him off, ‘Yeah I get it, I'm still scared but… but I guess if you want to go you should, no one’s stopping you. I guess it’s time for me to suck it up. Thanks for everything though, you’ve been really good to me and… really, thanks.’ I leaned forward and gave him a kiss on the cheek before sliding off the bed.

‘I’m gonna have a bath. You can go now if you want.’ I force a fake reassuring smile and walk off toward the door but get pulled back gently and into Daniel’s embrace.

‘You’re welcome Remy. I’m proud of you ya know; trying to be tough and all, wanting to suck it up. Nick would be proud too, you’ve been through a lot Remy,’ he breathes resting his chin on top of my head.