Chapter 9 - Truth, or not?

‘Remy… Remy, sweetie, there are some people at the door wanting you, Jack is talking to them right now in the kitchen would you like to come out?’

I open my eyes slowly and rub the sleep out a little, I mumble something and she knew I wanted to be left alone. ‘Just come out whenever you want okay, sorry for waking you up sweetie.’ She says with a concerned frown, I smile, ‘No, no, it’s okay. Thank you.’

She nods and walks out of the door shutting it behind her.

People… people… Oh no, they found me. I knew straight away what this meant – the men in black, they’ve found me.

I get changed into what looks like my clothes when I first came in, from worn out and torn to a perfectly new looking skinny jeans and t-shirt.

When I come out I can immediately hear Daniel's voice, soft and sort of deep. A part of me sinks as I hear Daniel and Jack talking about me; not where I came from or the past that Daniel knows about, but of what Jack knows. Please, please don’t tell him anything – who I know and what we were planning to do today, I pleaded, even though we had nothing planned.

I’m not sure what to do - should I run through the front door letting them all see me and end up getting chased around the whole town or should I sneak through the back door come back late at night and have to tell Jack everything?

I don’t know, I am so confused, I sigh.

‘Jack can you go check if she’s ready?’ I hear Jack jogging around the corner and as soon as I see him I jump out putting my hands over his mouth and whisper, ‘shh’ my finger on my lip to even show him what I meant. He looks at me with an eyebrow up but nods anyway. I let him go and quickly tell him that they’re some sort of spies that work for Nick trying to find me or something but I wasn’t exactly ready to go home. And he believed me.

‘I’m sorry, she’s in the shower right now,’ Jack reports walking back around the corner casually.

‘Okay, I guess we can wait a little longer,’ Daniel says facing towards the tall man I saw from the beach.

The tall guy shakes his head, advising they should leave now, because they didn’t want to bother us, I could see their reflection off a mirror in the hall, thankfully neither of them bothered to look this way.

Neither Daniel nor the tall man is wearing their suits I guess trying to “blend in”. They look kinda funny; I mean I’ve never seen the men in black ever wear any­thing else especially Daniel. Though the two of them are still wearing the golden ring, what’s with it?

When they finally decide to leave I go to the bathroom wet my hair damp and walk out pretending that I did take a shower, but before Daniel walked out of the house and shut the door I was pretty sure he saw me from the mirror but I jerked out of the reflection as soon as he turned.

‘Sorry Remy, they just left, would you know any of them? One had dark brown hair not that long and a bit older then Jack; he seemed to really want to talk to you, lovely boy I must say. And the other was tall, really tall.’

I force a smile, the thought of Daniel eating into my guts, ‘no never heard of them.’ I say, ‘maybe once in the festival thing though.’ She said okay and left the house to hang some clothes, including my new yellow summer dress.

‘So what's all that about?’ Jack asks as if I hadn’t already told him enough.

‘Can we go upstairs or go for a walk?’ I ask instead, knowing that he wouldn’t drop it. ‘Yeah, sure.’

We went outside and went for a walk through the town stopping every now and then to sit at parks and benches then moving on again.

I came up with a short story about how my father was too protective and we had a fight about something about how he never bothered to see or talk to me but when the time comes to wanting to go out and meet people he’d get angry. And so I ran away, which I guess is partly true.