Chapter 5 - ( dont know what to call this either, help please? )

‘I’ll be back,’ I told Jack when it was past lunch. ‘Alright,’ He replies smiling before turning back to Daniel and finishing their conversation; it was good to see them getting on so well.

I went to knock on the door of Nick’s office but it swung open before I could knock it once. ‘Oh. Zach.’ I take a step away from the door to let him through.

‘What do you want?’ he asks narrowing his eyes at me still standing in the middle of the door. ‘Can you please get Billy for me? I need to speak to him,’ I look down at my feet awkwardly and before I knew it the door was slammed shut, only inches away from my face.

I wait there unsure what to do and wondered whether or not Zach was really gonna get Billy.

The door opens and Billy comes out squeezing straight past me and shutting the door fast as if I were going to try and run into the bottom floor: Nick’s giant office.

‘Yeah, what's up?’ I turn around and look behind me before looking back at Billy. ‘Uh, let’s go out the back I need to talk to you.’

We sit on the porch dangling our legs over the edge waiting for one of us to say something.

My voice turns to a whisper, ‘You know how I said I wanted him gone?’ I ask knowing he knew what I meant. ‘Yeah,’ he turns a bit so he could face me but I didn’t move an inch, still looking into the forest.

‘I change my mind. Just let him stay. I don’t care what happens anymore, like I do, but he knows what he’s gonna go through.’ I say finally turning to face him.

‘I realised he means too much me. I can’t do it,’ I add a little while later. For a second I thought I saw solid envy in his eyes but changed back fast as if I just dreamt it.

He stays quiet for a bit. ‘So you want him to stay now, right?’ he asks looking away from me. ‘Yeah, I do.’

‘Alright.’ He says getting up and walking off leaving me alone on the porch.

I look at the sky and stared at the different blues. I watched the way the clouds formed and deformed as the wind changed it little by little. A bird flies past and I realise the sun was starting to go down a bit, the rays now glaring right in front of me, I lay down closing my eyes thinking.

‘Remy?’ I look up and find Jack standing above me looking down as if I were an interesting rock that he couldn’t take he's eyes off. ‘What are you doing?’ he chuckles, showing his perfect smile. ‘It’s starting to get cold, you should come inside.’

I don’t move and even though he says I should go inside he sits down next to me looking deep into the forest as I have been doing for the last couple of hours. I sit up and only just notice how cold it was. I shiver and watch a group of birds fly past, disappearing for a second from the glare of the sun and being seen once again on the other side of the sun.

For a moment I forget Jack was there as a thoughtful and intimate silence falls between us. A couple of more shivers go through my body until Jack puts his cosy, strong arm around me pulling me softly toward his warm and relaxed body. I wrap my arms around him and look up into his face resting my chin on his chest, his bright blue eyes sparkling.

I wanted to say something but I wasn’t exactly sure what, so instead I smiled. He smiles back but it lacked the usual enthusiasm before he caresses his lips against mine and in that moment I felt like I could fly just like the birds that flew past, the only thing holding me down was Jacks’ firm hold around me. I grin and rest my head against his chest as we watched the sun go down slowly.

I look up again hoping he would kiss me just once more so I could have that feeling again but he was already gazing somewhere else. My eyes started to feel heavy and I wanted to sleep.