Chapter 10 - Wine and Roofs

I lay there listening to my stomach rumbling as I started to get really hungry.

Three more days past like a blur and I thought about just lying there for another two weeks until someone was going to take pity on me like before, but I was pretty sure that someone was not going to be Daniel again.

Finally I persuade myself to get off my backside and get something to eat, otherwise if I don’t and Zach comes back for me I won’t have enough strength to fight him off.

Ignoring my light head and growling stomach I practically ran down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Please don’t let anyone come, please.

I open the fridge as slowly and quietly as I could and grabbed the closest bottle, I don’t know what it was but it was in a glass bottle. I pour it in a glass and take a long slow swig savouring the sweet and bitter taste in my mouth.

It was good, like really good.

I drink the rest in one go and without a thought I pour some more and drank all of that too before pouring another glass for later and making myself some toast.

When I finish all the toast I go to drink my fourth cup but stop half way as I hear someone approach.

‘You know that’s wine, right?’

As soon as I heard Zach’s voice my legs went all shaky and I wanted to throw up. I put the cup down slowly regretting that I didn’t bother to read the label. Turning around to face my fear I look at him and wanted to run off but my legs felt glued to the ground.

As my head started to throb the only thought in my head was; he wanted to kill me; he was going to kill me; he probably still does.

I look at him and the way he was acting seemed like nothing ever happened. ‘How much of it did you drink? You’re kinda swaying a little.’ He informs eyes boring down on me.

Oh, jeez. I only had three glasses, was I really swaying?

My head started to spin and I grab onto the bench for support looking away from Zach and down to the tiled floor. I hear him move toward me and soon feel his broad hand on my shoulder. It was such a gentle touch I couldn’t believe that someone like him could push me onto the floor so forcefully. 

‘Remy, are you okay?’ His voice was so soft and distant but when I looked up at his face all I could see was the horrible person that wanted to kill me, before I knew it I ran away. I feel my legs bring me up the stairs and stop under the opening of the attic.

Why here? I wanted to ask myself. But I didn’t have the time to answer because I pulled down the portable stairs and climbed up. My heart skips a beat as I hear Zach calling me, ‘Remy, come back! You’re not well, you might collapse!’

I pull up the portable stairs back in place and paced around the room, wondering what to do next. ‘Remy!’ my heart started to slam into my chest as I could hear him starting to pull down the stairs to the attic. I looked at a little window wondering if I should try and climb onto the roof, but could Zach fit through that? And what will I do up there anyway?

Before I knew it I was opening the small window and twisting my body through it. I hear Zach making his way up the stairs and I twisted and slid out the window as fast as I could. I took hold of the gutter and twisted the last of my body out the window.

‘Remy don’t! You’re gonna fall!’ I hear Zach scream running toward the window.

You’re too late! I wanted to laugh at him, but as I look down I realised now wasn’t a laughing matter the ground was so far down I only just realised what risk I put myself in. With all my might I pull myself onto the roof and I could feel the metal digging into my skin, it hurt and tears threatened to spill but I refused to let it.